SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Red vignette on my DSLR images!?

Gino Arcari

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think it would be the battery because the battery goes in the right side of the camera :http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/nikon-d5-20606/images/highres-D5200_BK_back_1_1352136575.jpg ........ and the red glow is on the left. and whats amp glow? 

i did manage to get rid of it  M31 Andromeda Galaxy but its just a pain to keep removing.

Darks will take care of this glow. Make sure that the darks are taken at the same temperature as your lights. I've had the same issue with my Canon DSLR last year. I had an element of sky glow as well which I factored out with an Astronomiks CLS CCD filter.

Definitely looks like amp glow to me.

It can be reduced either with darks, post processing or, as above, by increasing time between subs. Some Nikon models are better than others, my D200 suffers terribly from ampglow (but I still got useable images) and my D7000 is a whole lot better (so much so it's almost not present)

cheers all for the help:) and auspom, how did you do that!?

He used Gradient Exterminator which is a Photoshop plug-in available from RC-Astro. It is commonly used to remove gradients originating from light polluted skies and I guess amp glow too.

okay cheers mate:)

hmmmm im not sure to be honest

It will all depend on the optics on the front... With a normal camera lens the image is flipped... 

From a sensor cleaning tutorial...

"Remember, the location of the dust on the sensor will be exactly opposite of where it appears in the image on the LCD (the lens flips the image, the camera de-flips it for viewing)."

Gino Arcari

Firstly sorry for the long post….. and just to put it out there m mainly a amateur photographer who has a slight interest in Astro so only just started getting around the night sky and imaging it mostly wide field but I do have unlimited access to a Skywatcher Adventurer Mount for tracked stuff any way….

I’ve searched and search and search for a solution then came across this Thread eventually someone else who bothered by the problem. I think its cause it’s not noticeable during normal photography which is my main focus but I have been doing some night time, star and milky way photography lately and that’s where I’ve encountered the problem.

Just a few points to add to the discussion hopefully it will shed some sort of light

1. It is in fact amp glow … some previous Nikons were terrible for it and it looks like this model is also one of those.

2. Introducing dark frames does reduce it but doesn’t remove it completely …. (That’s what I’ve found so far in testing … But I’ve only been taking 1 photo then 1 dark with the lens cap on and deducting that)

3. Increasing time between photos doesn’t help at all because it’s there from the first image on a cold night

4. I’ve had someone from Nikon Owners Magazine helping me with my tests and sent me some tests results from a d5200 and d7100 ….. The results are quite amazing…..

From a photography point of view I’ve always liked the d7100 but it’s just been slightly out of my reach so as the d5200is so close in comparison I went for that and I like the moveable screen for those funny angles…. Anyhow in summery the Amp glow on the d5200 is prominent in the bottom left corner of images but from the d7100 the amp glow is spread right across the image making it less noticeable to the eye, so for a better night time camera if it’s possible upgrade to the d7100 otherwise the amp glow from the d5200 will always be there, ill try and post 2 dark images later with the amp glow increased so you can see my results.

And finally I haven’t heard of or tried the plug in previously mentioned so will be trying that so thanks for that….

I know I’ve went on and on but I hope it’s been some kind of help

Hi hope you don't think I'm cheeky but could you possibly try using this program on one of my images and see if it works on a normal photograph??

sure. post it here and we'll see what happens :)

Archived