Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Garden Pier

Singlin

In order to dedicate more time imaging i decided to build a garden pier for visual use and wide field imaging with my modified canon 600 and Orion 80,ed.
I dug the hole and had a few problems with rocks, These will help strengthen my cement. I stuck rebar into the sides of the hole, the bottom and also in the centre of the hole.
Once the hole is full of cement i will put the plywood top on to prevent the cement oozing out when i fill the plastic tube.
The hole in the plywood top has 2 little plywood biscuits screwed into the sides to support the tube when filling with cement (thanks Gina).

Attached two photos of the hole and the plywood top. 

post-19057-0-88058000-1414252280_thumb.j

post-19057-0-73496900-1414252856_thumb.j

Singlin, never  mind photographs of the hole, could you go to the far corner of your garden and take a photograph of the valley  :smiley:   It looks absolutely beautiful country.  I can only imagine the view on a starry night.  Good luck with the build.  Are you going to put an enclosure over the pier or are you leaving it open.

Jim

No enclosure, I already have an Observatory.

I will build a custom bird house that will fit over my EQ6 for protection and keep the telescope for visual stored nearby.

All I have to do is put the scope on and switch on and use the hand pad for visual.

I am also routing a powered usb hub and mains electric cable to the mount from my observatory for pc connection  when I want to do some widefield immaging with my Canon.

I could do with a touch more Horizon I am surounded by mountains and the only clear view is to the South which is the view in the foto.

Almost finished my garden pier.

I still have to finish the eyepiece holder and bird box cover.

I went to my local DIY and asked for Winbledon Green paint.

He knew the word Green but not Wimbledon. :grin:

post-19057-0-89918300-1414858999_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Singlin, inspired by you pier I decided to build one similar.

post-11141-0-45167400-1416865752_thumb.j

I used an idea from the S@N mag using an internal lintel driven into the ground and your idea using large dia rebar in each corner.

post-11141-0-34933100-1416866071_thumb.j

Used a cast iron pipe my dad had lying around.

post-11141-0-77590400-1416866299_thumb.j

Just in the process of making the pier top from a couple of break discs, will post another pic when finished

Archived