Narrowband

Right, refractor me...

Right, the only way I'll deal with this itch for a refractor is to run with it, and something smaller and more portable would be good. I don't get on with bins that well, either, without a tripod...

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? To give you an idea, I've been thinking along the lines of:

• William's Optics ZenithStar 71
  • Altair Astro Starwave 70

Basically, I'm thinking small enough for a flight case/overhead compartment, and possible camera tripod mounting (though the usual mount would be an AZ4). Oh and I'd prefer a 2" diagonal; it seems to me that such a scope would make a nice wide field instrument. 

Use would be visual, but some day I guess I might try imaging. (On that note, it it worth getting a field flattener with the scope - I notice the WO is available as a bundle - or is that something worth keeping until later?)

Anybody got any thoughts, or any other suggestions?

Are you dead set on a 70mm scope Andy? 80mm gives quite a lot more light and they can be quite short, particularly if, for example with my ED80, you take off the front dew shield and cap the scope. Mine certainly has gone on a plane fairly easily.

Chris

I owned a WO 70mm ED doublet for a short while. It seemed a nice little scope although I have to say it showed more CA than I expected. Too litle aperture for me really though. If I was going to put together a travel scope I think it would be based around a C5 SCT.

I owned a Starwave as well for a while. Very compact scope with excellent optics really. Can't find anything negative to say about it.

I only rehomed it as I wanted to get a custom refractor.

However given that most airlines permit bags up to 50 cm across, this means that you can get a larger scope to fit in a carry on bag e.g. 80mm.

The restriction really is the mount and it weight capacity. The AZ4 can handle a 70mm or 80mm just fine, but a camera tripod and head will have immediate problems.

Given that for example the Starwave with a 22" diagonal, red dot finder and your average eyepiece is between 3 - 3.5 kilograms, you need a "solid" tripod (I use the Manfrotto 0155 XPROB) and a decent mount head (again, I use the Mini Gyro and the Desert Sky Astro DSV-M).

The mount has to be side saddle, i.e. the telescope has to be on the side. If it is a typical camera head, then the telescope is mounted on top and as soon as you start tilting it up, it becomes back heavy. You then have to really tighten the head and it is very difficult to move the scope and balance it.

For maximum aperture and portability (under 50 cm when dew shield is retracted), here's another option.

Andy, I had a pretty similar wish list when I decided a few weeks ago that it was time to get back in to astronomy. I initially thought the 70mm starwave was the way to go but I eventually settled on a SW Equinox 80ED that came up for sale second hand. The case is well within even most restrictive airline hand luggage dimensions and will fit the scope, 2" diagonal and 3x 2" EPs comfortably inside.

The biggest sticking point was the mount and eventually I settled on an AZ4. I plan to take the AZ4 head in the hand luggage and just have the ali tripod in the hold bags so it doesn't add too much weight. It seemed to me the best compromise between aperture, weight and portability although I must admit I've yet to actually try it yet!

80 is certainly brighter than 70 but at very dark sites 70 can be great. I have an old but delightful TV Pronto bought for 'not much' which fills this niche. They go for under £300.

I wouldn't, myself, go for a small SCT because they can't do the one thing which only small scopes can do, which is give you ultra widefield views. The FL is too long. A focal length under 500mm and an ultra wide 2 inch EP can give some unique visual treats.

Olly

I have the WO Zenithstar ZS71 on a SW AZ mount which I use as a travel scope and lately also for video astronomy.

When used as a travel scope I just take the Baader Zoom and the 2.25 Barlow and a 1.25 Diagonal plus the WO Multi Reticule finder.

Gives excellent sharp views and I haven't noticed any CA.

Everything fits into the soft case it came with (obviously not the AZ mount) which makes it really ideal as a travel scope.

Avtar

Oh wow I went through this a while ago bought myself a beautiful Opticstar AR80 dual focuser... tried a manfrotto tripod with a two way head then one with the three... my plan was to slip the 80 into the overhead locker and tripod in my case.

The tripods I borrowed, and no matter what I did with targeting trials in myback garden I could not get the fine adjustment...

I also realised I would need to take a diagonal and a couple of eps pushing my hand luggage weight up.

I then thought about buying a small mount and tripod so ended up with several new bits of kit of which none are suitable or small enough for my hold luggage.

A colleague of mine then asked how much time would I be spending observing on my holidays? In the past I have always said I'll be out most nights but in practise that never happens...

In the end I went outside and checked what views I got with my 10x50s and 15x75s in truth I was a wobbly out of focus binocular operator but was determined to learn to hold them still or lean them against a wall or lady in a sunbed...

I decided in the end to take my 15x75s and feel I made the right decision.

Whilst viewing I did think how cool it would have been to have a larger scope but then where do you stop? I would have been even happier if I had a goto over there..

But even with nothing naked eye viewing was amazing and I will never be getting rid of my binos :-)

I put my observing report in the observing threads it's called 'be- Kos I could'

Oh wow I went through this a while ago bought myself a beautiful Opticstar AR80 dual focuser... tried a manfrotto tripod with a two way head then one with the three... my plan was to slip the 80 into the overhead locker and tripod in my case.

The tripods I borrowed, and no matter what I did with targeting trials in myback garden I could not get the fine adjustment...

I also realised I would need to take a diagonal and a couple of eps pushing my hand luggage weight up.

I then thought about buying a small mount and tripod so ended up with several new bits of kit of which none are suitable or small enough for my hold luggage.

A colleague of mine then asked how much time would I be spending observing on my holidays? In the past I have always said I'll be out most nights but in practise that never happens...

In the end I went outside and checked what views I got with my 10x50s and 15x75s in truth I was a wobbly out of focus binocular operator but was determined to learn to hold them still or lean them against a wall or lady in a sunbed...

I decided in the end to take my 15x75s and feel I made the right decision.

Whilst viewing I did think how cool it would have been to have a larger scope but then where do you stop? I would have been even happier if I had a goto over there..

But even with nothing naked eye viewing was amazing and I will never be getting rid of my binos :-)

I put my observing report in the observing threads it's called 'be- Kos I could'

That should clearly be 'lay' on a sunbed.... 

I tend to agree with Patbloke to some extent. My family holidays are for my family and I'd not be popular if I spent each night or a few nights observing. I tend to agree with my family on this. The odd hour here or there with bins is obviously OK though.

Also, the security in the average place I stay in is not top notch. Do you really want several £00s of gear in a room during the day when at the beach?

I'd have said a cheapie ST80 (light), a few plossls and a light tripod would more than suffice for an astro fix under dark skies. OK if in a villa etc.........

I think Moonshane makes a good point with security and the social aspect of being abroad with family.. I visited Greece earlier in the year with friends and family and most of my observations were done through the day and around midnight after every one was in bed, so I was conscious of disturbing people packing up... Let alone taking expensive gear on a plane in the hold...

I settled on a 80mm achro with camera tripod.. Posted a report here... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/218736-planets-globs-sun-and-moon

For what I needed and the time afforded it was a perfect little grab and go that cost me £80 second hand...

Keep the weight down with a 1.25 wedge and plossl eps, with a red dot... Great wide field views... Even Saturn was good at 80x ish..

Worth a consideration before spending a lot more?!

For maximum aperture and portability (under 50 cm when dew shield is retracted), here's another option.

That's an interesting option, thanks, and interesting to hear about the tripod issues. I did wonder how well that would work - I've no experience on my part, so again, the forums win through!

Andy, I had a pretty similar wish list when I decided a few weeks ago that it was time to get back in to astronomy. I initially thought the 70mm starwave was the way to go but I eventually settled on a SW Equinox 80ED that came up for sale second hand. The case is well within even most restrictive airline hand luggage dimensions and will fit the scope, 2" diagonal and 3x 2" EPs comfortably inside.

The biggest sticking point was the mount and eventually I settled on an AZ4. I plan to take the AZ4 head in the hand luggage and just have the ali tripod in the hold bags so it doesn't add too much weight. It seemed to me the best compromise between aperture, weight and portability although I must admit I've yet to actually try it yet!

Yeah, I'd wondered about carrying the AZ4 that way too - or even just dismantle, wrap in bubble wrap, and put the in the hold. That head is a solid lump, and I really like the AZ4. It's the tripod itself I think I'd worry about more - I've the aluminium legged one.

Not too worried about the holiday security, and the thoughts here are really about two specific things; 1) I'd like to explore the southern hemisphere a bit, and 2) the 2017 total eclipse in the USA. Both would be holidays about the astronomy. If I'd a family, yeah, that'd be different.

Worth consideration? Absolutely, what do I know about scopes with glass in 'em, and once again the  forum's knowledge comes to help. John's thoughts on aperture tickle one of my fears, but Olly's comment on wide field of view is kinda what I think one of the advantages would be. 

The other part of it is just having something more or less keep in the car. I've been away with work a few times recently and had moments of 'That's a lovely moon. It's a shame Premier Inn don't have scopes'.

Definitely worth a ponder, and I'll have another look at the dimensions of an ED80 (thought that they were bigger) and that TS ED 90 looks interesting too.

Why do I keep saying my 15 x 75s when I clearly mean 15 x 70s... I've not been well sorry :-)

Looking forward to see what you go for Andy, and how you get on... I may be brave and take the Opticstar 80 next year... after all, no point it being here in the flat when there's those beautiful clear skies and bits of the sky on show which I don't usually see!

I often take a little scope away with me on foreign holidays and am always glad that I have done.

Mainly in the past it has been a William Optics SD 66mm. These are a lovely compact scope and give great widefield views under dark skies.

I do agree that 80mm gives you appreciably more than 70 and is worth considering if in budget and compact enough.

A mini giro head works very well on a photo tripod, much more satisfactory than a photo head as it will maintain balance up to the zenith.

I am always careful in terms of not being overly showy with kit and keeping it hidden where possible but have never had any issues despite travelling to some fairly varied places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an EQ1 which I had with my first scope (a present) Skyhawk 114p... It's nice and light and will pack and I considered taking it abroad, but I couldn't find a bracket to use with a camera screw thread as it uses the rings method of attaching the scope... I did see one on eBay once but nothing since... 

Archived