SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trial by fire learning technique

Liquid360

Let me begin by saying that I took to this endeavor with a realistic understanding of what I was signing up for. I'm not complaining in any way, shape, or form. That said, I can't help but wonder if there are any other kindred souls out here...

After owning a 10in CAT for a couple years, I decided that my interest was in DSO AP. I did a lot of reading both forums and otherwise. I searched the web seeking the type of images I hoped to one day take and looked at what equipment they used. I asked around "what would you buy...." I chose my equipment and pulled the trigger only to be told I was insane by the very same people I had asked, a constant stream of people speaking to me as though I was a child... sharing cautionary tales and expressing concern. Their concern came from a good place, don't get me wrong. When learning to swim some kids do better taking lessons and some do better to blindly jump into the deep end, the "swim or die" technique of learning. It's not for everyone, but for some it's the only way. I'm a 42yr old guy and I've spent most of that time with myself, minus a couple college years spent experimenting with psychedelics. My point is.... ummm.... Ummm.... Okay I don't remember but I'm almost certain I had one....

ah yes, kindred souls.... Anybody?

You can ask for information and possibly advice but you have to buy what you want, not what someone else wahts or what they would want if in the poistion you are/were.

I recall one thread saying that people get into this, ask others what to buy, change their minds from what they were thinking of, buy what others suggest then find it doesn't suit and eventually buy what was their initial idea before they asked.

Would you buy a 90mm ED for DSO and just about everything?

If I asked that 98% would say a 200P, 250P or even 300P.

Know what, I am 120% happy with the 90mm ED.

When anyone asks about the next step in eyepieces, posts end up saying Naglers, Delos and Ethos.

Usually buy a used one, so that means waitng with the old ones that are not liked until the right used one comes up and then you have to be the one to get it.

Sometimes it seems to be about owning equipment.

Simple answer: Decide what it is you want and get it.

Asking the right question the right way is likely a big part.

Trouble with DSO AP is too big a range of options - EQ5+motors+ED+DSLR up to NEQ6 Pro+top end APO+Cooled CCD+Guide Scope and Guider+LRGB Filters+.....

That is just too big a spread.

Kindred, indeed, Liquid (hopefully, the diminutive does not offend).

One hopes your treatise is cathartic or, at the least, analgesic. However, you give the game away with only two letters - 'AP'.

You're dancing with the devil.

Have fun in the deep end. It terrifies me ...

I did research then pulled trigger and it was the right way for me, questions I try to keep very specific to help with what ever it is I have not worked out on own.

This forum is great and packed with information and very helpful members but like with everything use and contribute how it best suits you.

Now where did I put those arm bands.

If asked, 98% of people who know what they are talking about would recommend an ED80 and an HEQ5 with an autoguider and Steve Richards' excellent book on the subject.

There is a very good reason for that; deep sky AP is difficult! Anything you can do to make it easier is going to be to your advantage. The most important things you can do to improve your imaging is increase your total exposure time and improve your skills in processing. You can't simply buy top end kit and expect it to provide perfect images. It just doesn't work like that.

That aside, there is a lot to be said for jumping in at the deep end if you like a challenge. My preference is to begin at the beginning, learn what I am doing and then move on to the next level. This is, in my view, a easier way of learning. There is no right or wrong in any of this though. It is all personal opinion but form what I have seen over the past few years, the majority of people who jump in at the deep end flounder around for a while and then either drown (give up) or grab the side and make their way to the kiddies pool and take lessons. Those second guys tend to have great technique when they get back in the pool though.

My advice, stick with it, check out the image galleries of the people offering advice before deciding how much weight to give their words of wisdom. There are some truly world class imagers on SGL who go out of their way to offer help and advice to others. They all started somewhere and have learned how to produce amazing images of the night sky.

I take a keen interest in the recommendations of others when they are asked for advice and in doing so have learned a great deal even if it's not applicable to my needs. Naturally, a lot of advice is coloured by the personal experiences and preferences of the advisors. 98% would recommend a 200P Dobsonian as for "bang for the buck" it is a no brainer, however one size does not fit all in astronomy. Jumping in at the deep end is exciting, heck, there are guys on this forum making 20"+ mirrors as a first attempt!. One bit of advice I would give a beginner would be, save AP until later and enjoy your astronomy while you can.   :smiley: 

Archived