Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opticron Oregon 15x70 Observation Binoculars

FLO

The Opticron Oregon 15x70 binocular clearly comes from the same stable as some other <£100 15x70 binoculars but Opticron have commissioned a higher specification. All air-glass surfaces are fully multicoated for improved light transmission, colour and contrast and are quality-tested here in the UK. 

Long eye-relief eyepieces suitable for observing with or without glasses.

Price £89 

Includes manufacturers five year warranty. 

opticron_oregon_15x70_binoculars.jpg

Interesting binoculars for an interesting price. Are they maybe BA1 series from Kunming united optics?

I reckon so  :smile:

But unlike other BA1 models the Oregon 15x70 has fully multicoated optics and final quality control is handled by Opticron here in the UK. 

HTH,

Steve

Just wondering steve. I used to own (well still do in away) the celestron 15x70 which I had off you guys in the first sale years ago. How does it compare as one major problem I found was collimation. I had mine in the boot of the car and they lost it pretty quick. My optricons on the other hand are still as perfect as the day they arrived from you and even tonight at SWG 3 people still comment on how good they are. Will these be a good compliment. Or will it be best to go for a different pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Just to follow on from gareth, what is the length of time after purchase that I could return the pair if I suspected the collimation was off without needing to pay a fee?

I'm thinking of asking for these as a gift and have concerns about finding faults 2 - 3 months after purchase and not having options. 

Just wondering steve. I used to own (well still do in away) the celestron 15x70 which I had off you guys in the first sale years ago. How does it compare as one major problem I found was collimation. I had mine in the boot of the car and they lost it pretty quick. My optricons on the other hand are still as perfect as the day they arrived from you and even tonight at SWG 3 people still comment on how good they are. Will these be a good compliment. Or will it be best to go for a different pair.

The Opticron Oregon is the best BA1-based 15x70 binocular available, I am sure of that, but it is still a BA1 and retails for <£100 so it won't compete with more expensive Japanese-made Opticrons.

Regarding collimation, we are spoiled these days with modern roof-prism binoculars that are relatively shock-proof but traditional porroprism designs, particularly high magnification <£100 models like the one discussed here, are more prone to misalignment so should be kept in a case and out of harms way. 

Just to follow on from gareth, what is the length of time after purchase that I could return the pair if I suspected the collimation was off without needing to pay a fee?

I'm thinking of asking for these as a gift and have concerns about finding faults 2 - 3 months after purchase and not having options. 

Our 30-day return policy covers all our binoculars (telescopes, mounts and eyepieces too)  :angel:

Thirty days is plenty of time to check alignment/collimation.

The Oregons are also covered by a 5-year warranty but it is a warranty, not an insurance, so won't cover misalignment due to impact. 

HTH, 
Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The Opticron Oregon 15x70 binocular clearly comes from the same stable as some other <£100 15x70 binoculars but Opticron have commissioned a higher specification. All air-glass surfaces are fully multicoated for improved light transmission, colour and contrast and are quality-tested here in the UK. 

Some things are best said with a photo  :smile:

Fully multicoated optics result in better colour, higher light transmission and increased contrast. 

(Celestron Skymaster top, Opticron Oregon bottom)

celestron_vs_opticron_15x70_binocular.jp

• 1 month later...

If a comparison of the Opticron Oregon 15x70 and Helios Apollo 15x70 helps anyone, I attempted one here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/220207-new-binoculars-helios-apollo-15x70s-dilemma-solved/?p=2501328

Excerpts:

"First impressions when I lifted them to Orion? Wow. Why didn't I buy a pair of these years ago (I said the same about the apollos when I got those, but it seems even more pertinent when they're £90, not £270."

It would be interesting to hear some more expert opinion to compare my (brief, given viewing conditions) findings.

Archived