SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double stacked continuum filter

Stu

I just happened across mention of a double stacked continuum filter and was interested to know whether anyone had tried one.

You can buy a 1.25" version which has two filter elements slightly tilted with respect to each other, presumably to avoid reflections. Alternatively it seems you can also just stack two standard filters.

The apparent effect is increased contrast. I have seen a couple of comments on CN (or maybe solarchat?) which seemed to say that there was no benefit to be gained, but this link implies there is some improvement.

http://myphotojourney.co.uk/baader-herschel-prism-single-vs-double-stacked-solar-continuum/

Any thoughts?

I also saw a CaK line filter to use with a Wedge, that's something I would be interested in without having to invest in a CaK dedicated scope.

From the ModernAstronomy site.....

742f49b64de339af197acd99fe3d4deb.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, here's what you wanted: They're rubbish!

Of course, I haven't got a clue, never having used one or even seen one, other than in your pics. But you got what you'd hoped for.

Hasn't stopped you thinking about buying one though, has it?!?

The bandwidth of the Baader isn't tight enough to give those "Ohhhh Ahhhh" CaK images you see on solar chat. Sorry!

I don't believe double stacking the same filter does a hellva lot. Yes, it does have the potential to reduce the bandwidth and reduce the transmission, but is the effort worthwhile.....

The bandwidth of the Baader isn't tight enough to give those "Ohhhh Ahhhh" CaK images you see on solar chat. Sorry!

I don't believe double stacking the same filter does a hellva lot. Yes, it does have the potential to reduce the bandwidth and reduce the transmission, but is the effort worthwhile.....

There speaks a man who knows :-)

Thanks very much Ken. It's pretty much what I thought, but your words are enough to stop a fool and his money being parted :-)

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use other narrow filters to improve the view, like a ?TiO filter that someone on a forum tried once. Remember to use a uv-ir filter whn imaging with the continuum, there is slight IR leakage.

Double stacking Halacha filters is worth ,moth to reduce the out of hand and narrow the bandwidth, but less so with other wider filters.

As Ken says, the baader CaK filter is tempting, BUT it won't give you those lovely shots! A CaK module costs abou the same as an halpha ha one and you get to plonk it any scope you have.

Cheers

PEterW

Archived