Narrowband

Tried to observe C/2012 K1 (PANSTARRS)

I woke up at 4:30 am to go out and observe the comet and I was pleasantly surprised to run into M41 unexpectedly while aligning my telescope! In the process of looking for the comet I also saw 2 satellites, which was pretty cool. But unfortunately, when I arrived at the spot the comet should have been... I could not see anything.

I've tried googling a bit of information about the comet, and have not found a whole ton about observations other than the fact that it's around magnitude 7 and should be pretty easy to spot in binoculars. I could see stars down to at least magnitude 10.5 in the area. Is the comet too diffuse? 

The only experience I have with observing comets is C/2011 L4.

Any tips on observing fainter comets? Has anyone else observed this comet lately? I looked around for topics but only found stuff from earlier in the year when the comet was considerably dimmer.

Think you've missed the boat now if you're in the UK, I tried a couple of times earlier this month but it never got very high and though I imaged the right area of sky I failed to capture it. 

Not helped by having to shoot out the bedroom window :)

If you've got Stellarium on your computer you can download the co-ords for it and run the date window backwards to see where it was.

Dave

Archived