Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranus with Titaniia, Umbriel & Ariel @ 300%..!

Kokatha man

As I've just said in the other most recent thread it was only yesterday that I finalised the optimal processing routine for this distant planet.....it is indeed a challenge where all the "detail" is just faint albedo variations and the processing challenge is to optimise what you can capture without introducing artefacts and other false aspects to the data...

For those who wish to read the routine in fuller details it's best to follow this link as it is too lengthy to repeat here http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/479796-uranus-300-focusing-imperatives-some-processing-advances/

Suffice to say that I first revisited the data from the 1st October and feel that I now have a confident approach to processing Uranus commensurate with how I process our other planetary captures...

Here is an image from that night's capture at 300% of capture scale with the new routine - new in that all previous attempts were really only groping around in the dark to a fair extent! :grin:

post-3551-0-34862900-1414156004_thumb.pn

Thanks very much Chris, Vox, Simon & Martyn! :)

Simon, Titania @ 13.9, Umbriel @ 15.0 and Ariel @ 14.4 magnitudes...I adjust the levels of each satellite to give a relative brightness with (hopefully) Titania looking a smidgin brighter than Ariel with Umbriel the dimmest - at the capture parameters for Uranus these moons require considerable levels raising to make them visible wherein I make a 1 pixel selection on a duplicate layer with said raised levels, delete that duplicate (the selection will remain on the background copy) and then adjust the levels of each separately...1 pixel selections ensures they appear as small points of light as I believe they should..! :)

Here's another processing where I've pushed to processing a tad further and given the planet another version of colour rendering...

post-3551-0-33888400-1414211738_thumb.pn

So, onwards and upwards to Miranda, Eh? :p

At around magnitude +16, it might be within range of my video astronomy setup.

Whether it is far enough from Uranus to avoid being swamped is the question!

Of course, on the whole, I prefer your serene blue-green disk in the middle... :)

Simply beautiful! It's great to see people pulling in such detailed images of Uranus and Neptune. Most people have been led to believe these are just non-nondescript, bluish, fuzzballs. Not worth the trouble to bother with. It's great to see that ideology put in the waste-can!

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Thanks also Jake, Alan, Steve, Chris, Dave,  Spaceboy, Ruud & Dave - Pat and I appreciate your generous comments! :)

We were out last night imaging this tiny target again but won't know whether there's anything worthwhile until we process everything: the onscreen feeds looked good but much of the success is whether focus was good enough - and we're finding that this aspect is very tough & unpredictable with Uranus!  :confused:  :rolleyes:

Thank you - you are welcome to anything you can use from our own experiences! :)

Incidentally the title is an error that I've only just realised...Uranus is displayed at 200% of capture scale or perhaps a bit more, not 300% - apologies folks! :)

We imaged Uranus again the night before last in good seeing and feel we took another step forward in imaging this distant world...proof will be in the final outcomes but they are looking good but taking a long time as I am utilising several processing methods (stacking modes as well as processing variations within these various stack modes...)

I am more convinced than ever now that focusing, whilst always critical for planetary imaging is extremely demanding with Uranus and is the key to the better outcomes! :)

Archived