Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher M48 Ring Adapter - Nikon Fit

idigitize

Hi, 

I know this is a pretty specific question, but has anyone had any issues with these? 

I have just bought this and put it on the ed80 FF, screwed it in, and stuck my D7100 on the end.

All seemed ok and didnt give it much attention. Last night i went to frame a shot of Pleiades, twisted my camera using the FF & locking ring on the scope, when my camera fell off the end onto the ground. Luckily I managed to break the fall and it was only grass.

I now notice that the adapter does'nt lock into place like all my other Nikon lenses and adapters. 

I assume this is a design issue but just curious if anyone else had noticed this or if it was a 1 off faulty ring.

Pretty annoying as im happy with my whole setup being rock solid, yet this has become a very weak link.

It won't click, it just tightens... Although tight is not a word I would use. The T adater I have clicks in fine, it's just the sw m48 adapter,

Thankfully a FLO purchase, who are sending a new one out to replace it. (Cheers Martin)

I don't think its the threaded end as this wouldn't have the DSLR fall on the ground with only half a turn, the bit that goes in the DSLR must need a bit filed away ( on the ring not the DSLR) to allow the locking system to work......

Ah! So you are talking about the thread on the T-ring that screws to the t-adaptor, yes mine just screws on but has never come loose.

No, sorry, I mean I have another t adapter for nikon that does fit fine and locks into the csmera.

Totally separate to the SW m48 adapter.

The issue is, the m48 nikon adaptor doesn't click and lock on the camera and the other side of the adapter is connected to the SW FF/FR.

As the ring is obviously pretty small, it's impossible to properly tighten the m48 to camera, as this is loosening the m48 to ff/FR connection. (Ie, you turn the ring clockwise, it tightens the camera connection but loosens the ff connection, or vice versa)Therefore it's pretty essential to have one that locks, not just tightens.

My old Nikon T-ring used with a D-80 fits in the newer D5200,, there's a locking pin next to the release button this drops into a slot on the t-ring, you should beable to see it when attached, whats stopping it going the full distance may be a burr on the camera its self seeing as your on another t-ring....??

Ahhhh. i found the issue.

The 3 spaces that line up with the 3 'teeth' on all nikon gear, 2 teeth are bigger than the other 1, so the lens can only fit on one way. (I've never come across an attachment different)

On the SW adapter the teeth are all the same size, so to can be attached in 3 different ways - 2 of them the wrong way. And due to a tiny burr, the one way it should be put on didn't feel right. I was lining up the writing on the old one and new one, assuming that was the correct way to attach it. So the new one is actually fine, as is the old one now too. Just need to mark it so I only put it on one way. (and sent the new one back to flo.)

Cheers, I thought it odd!

Hi Ben,

Very odd that... My one came from FLO ... ordered along with the FF/FR and it has the same offset teeth as the Nikon so will only fit one way and it also has a red dot on the side to align with the camera body spot.

Perhaps they have changed their supplier.

Glad to hear that you fathomed it out... perhaps a small paint blob on the appropriate side could be arranged.

Keep Happy.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :grin:

I am glad that you finally got a solution on this strange problem, and just for confirming. Does it your new M48 Nikon ring locks and click correctly on your camera body now? It must do or else you can drop your camera.

Thanks, yes it clicks on fine. I just have to make sure I line it up properly using the markings. I have had nikon gear for 10 years or so, and am just so use to the fact that these things generally only fit on one way.

All manufacturers seem to have a slightly different design for nikon fittings though... Try putting a sigma or tamrom lens cap on a nikon teleconverter... It's more annoying than skywatcher using 2 different but similar sized threads on their tube rings. :)

Archived