Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

more light pollution

Dave Lloyd

Dont mention more light pollution to me. When i moved into this house in May, the evening were getting longer and the trees at the back of my house were full with leaves. The night sky here during the summer when it got dark, were in themselves much darker then where i used to live.

Move forward to now and this is what i have noticed:

Right behind my house are some open fields and a couple of football pitches used by a nearby primary school (i knew this when i moved in). However, since i moved in and autumn/winter is upon us.............most of the trees at the end of my garden have lost their leaves and to my shock and horror, those football pitches over the back are surrounded by 14 (yes........14) floodlights. My back garden which was lovely and dark from May until Oct, is now bathed at night in a lovely hue of light pollution. It does seem to be white light coming from the flood lights and not that nasty orange glow from street lights.

I didnt notice these lights before now because it was bright evenings and they were not turned on at night and the trees acted as a natural filter. Now the trees are bare and for some unknown reason, these flood lights are left on all night.

Its annoying to say the least but my saving grace is that i can walk/drive about 3 mins from my house and i am away from them and am slap bang in the middle of acres upon acres of open countryside...............literally a 3 min trip from my house.

Im a home-bird and have observed from my back garden (wherever i have lived) all my life and feel safe there in my little cocoon. If i have to go 3 mins up the road alone to observe, i am well out of my comfort zone. To be honest though, the only other life forms i would meet while observing are foxes,badgers,hedgehogs etc etc. 

They dont bother me. I'd actually forget observing the skies and observe them instead.

I am my own worst enemy. As JFK (i think..............or was it FDR) once said:

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself". 

Archived