Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SOADAS Observatory Trust

ArnieVXR

Another "what ever happened to question" from a new member.... :smiley:

Back in the early 1980s (IIRC) three leading members of the Southport, Ormskirk and District Astronomical Society (now the Southport Astronomical Society) decided to create a charitable trust that promoted astronomy at a local level. Trevor, Dave and Paul created the SOADAS observatory trust and set about raising funds to acquire a series of telescopes. I remember using their 12-inch dobsonian on a organised weekend outing to Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales. The also acquired a 12-inch equatorial and an 8-inch SCT.

I lost touch with them as I moved into my O-levels / A-levels and astronomy took a back seat. I was wondering what happened to the trust, as there's now sign of it these days.

Cheers

Arnie

Quick Google found them on the Charities Commission website: http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithoutPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=510367&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Shows they have had cashflow, albeit very little, every to date and contact details are given, though I have no idea if they are up to date or not.

HTH,

James.

Archived