Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uk suppliers of astromodded Canon EOS

Rumbold2010

Hi there,

As a newbie to Astrophotography, I'm looking at investing in an astromodded Canon EOS. I'm keen on a 600 upwards as I like the idea of a movable LCD screen when it's on the end of my CPC. My questions are;

1) I would like to use the camera in 2 ways, through my scope but also piggybacked in the scope for widefield shots. Does Astromodding a camera suit one better than the other? I already have a very capable bridge camera for day to day use so it's not an issue having a camera only for Astro work.

2) where is best in the uk based on experience here to get a camera done?

3) would it Infact be better just to go but an off the shelf EOS 60dA?

Any hints and tips you have would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!! Clear skies ( eventually...)

Andrew

There are two that I know of:  http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/   And:  http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/eosmod.htm   I believe that folk on the forum have used both for buying modded cameras and/or having cameras modded for them.

Personally I have used Astronomiser to mod a camera for me and they gave very good service (usual disclaimer).

Many thanks guys - great advice!! One more Q...

My budget ( for now) really only stretches to body and one lens. I have in mind the 17-135 IS STM lens, it seems a well regarded lens for the money and with a zoom lock feature, I'm hoping that the zoom element won't be too much of an issue when using camera piggybacked. I also figure up to 135mm should give me some decent widefield shots plus be just about enough to capture some of the bigger stuff ( Andromeda etc? ) thoughts guys? As always, really appreciate your opinions...

If you are photographing things like Andromeda (M31), The Pleiades or similar "large" objects then an unmodified camera will do the job - these particular objects have little Hydrogen Alpha emissions.  It is only objects that have large amounts of Hydrogen Alpha (generally red coloured nebulae) that the modded camera comes into its own.  However you can take pictures of these objects with an unmodded camera - its just that the red signal will be weak.  There are two solutions, depending on the object - either longer exposure times to build up more signal or accepting that you will get an image that appears "blue" when compared to an image that is taken with a modded camera.

Many thanks guys - great advice!! One more Q...

My budget ( for now) really only stretches to body and one lens. I have in mind the 17-135 IS STM lens, it seems a well regarded lens for the money and with a zoom lock feature, I'm hoping that the zoom element won't be too much of an issue when using camera piggybacked. I also figure up to 135mm should give me some decent widefield shots plus be just about enough to capture some of the bigger stuff ( Andromeda etc? ) thoughts guys? As always, really appreciate your opinions...

To give you an idea here are two images.

First at 105mm and second at 200mm both on a Canon 60Da.

105mm Sigma Macro lens

na105%20copy.jpg

200mm Canon L

ic7000.jpg

Archived