SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So i bought a 130P...

As my first scope, was a bit of a snap decision. First of let me say I bought this scope from FLO and couldn't rate highly enough, even let me collect :) Martin was a top chap! Can anyone help point me in the direction of good "how to use" an EQ mount. I found a few videos on YouTube but they seem to focus on why it does what it does, not how to use... I will continue to play with new scope and look this evening after work but any help would be appreciated :) Thank you.

Hi Danbater, I second Astrobaby's site.  I bought the  130p/EQ2 combo after an almost 40 year break from telescopic observing,after reading various reviews of this scope,and it was Astrobaby's review that finally clinched the deal!   I certainly can't fault the scope's performance and I continue to see some great stuff through it.  As I currently observe telescopically from a friend's backgarden,the EQ2 actually lives there at the moment,with the OTA in a padded 90litre rucksack on top of my wardrobe (!).  This is due to living in an upstairs flat with no garden of my own.   I'm sure that you will be impressed with your new scope and enjoy using it!

Thank you all

Hi Danbater, I second Astrobaby's site.  I bought the  130p/EQ2 combo after an almost 40 year break from telescopic observing,after reading various reviews of this scope,and it was Astrobaby's review that finally clinched the deal!   I certainly can't fault the scope's performance and I continue to see some great stuff through it.  As I currently observe telescopically from a friend's backgarden,the EQ2 actually lives there at the moment,with the OTA in a padded 90litre rucksack on top of my wardrobe (!).  This is due to living in an upstairs flat with no garden of my own.   I'm sure that you will be impressed with your new scope and enjoy using it!

MAN or ASTROMAN, you've now nominated yourself for all my 130P questions :-P

Just a word of warning, when you extend the telescopic legs on your EQ2, be

careful not to over tighten, the plastic stopper plate which the thumb screw turns

into, can snap, it happened to me, and the only way I could repair it was to tape it

all together with electricians  plastic tape, I have tried to get a replacement ,but I

have not been able to find one anywhere, so try to remember, just tighten the thumb

screw enough to hold it, the legs are only aluminium so they do tend to move a little,

so don't be tempted to tighten the legs, it's quite a good tripod but be aware, and enjoy

your new scope.

Good luck and Clear Sky's

Just a word of warning, when you extend the telescopic legs on your EQ2, be

careful not to over tighten, the plastic stopper plate which the thumb screw turns

into, can snap, it happened to me, and the only way I could repair it was to tape it

all together with electricians  plastic tape, I have tried to get a replacement ,but I

have not been able to find one anywhere, so try to remember, just tighten the thumb

screw enough to hold it, the legs are only aluminium so they do tend to move a little,

so don't be tempted to tighten the legs, it's quite a good tripod but be aware, and enjoy

your new scope.

Good luck and Clear Sky's

Thank you, thats a good tip as i tend to tighten things until it breaks. My heavy hands is something I need to address with this hobbie :)

Archived