Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which type of solar filter is best (white light)

bomberbaz

Hello all, I am looking to get a whitelight filter and pop it onto my frac for some solar viewing but I am not sure as to which one i should go for. There is the OO glass type ones which seem the best quality and the film type by several manufacturers which are quite a bit cheaper.

Just want to know anyones opinions on what they use and why they prefer one to the other.

I have read a few threads but was looking for an up to date spread of personal views!

I also looked at a dark green wratten filter but I am not in a rush for that, I have some colour filters and can play about with that once i get the white light filter sorted out.

TIA all

Steve

The baader film is excellent and has the bonus of being cheap to replace if you damage it.

While glass ones can be good be aware that if you drop it or scratch it you will need to buy a new one.

Just be sure you get something that isn't going to fall off the scope!

If you have an OIII filter that will help increase the contrast, I use a Baader solar continuum filter for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for the baader solar film, you can buy the sheet or get a pre made filter and housing to fit over the scope..

I used either a variable polariser filter or oiii depending on my mood, I believe the oiii id quite similar to the continuum filter...

Apart from that the glass filters are expensive (I think anyways), but if your considering that a wedge is next best..

I've got the lunt 1.25 for refractors upto 4" on order (waiting for lunt to release stock like quite a lot of the world at the moment!!) as I'll be able to use it in a number of scopes including my little travel 80mm achro..

ta

Fozzie

I have Baader film filters for my scopes, bought from FLO. They tighten up nicely over the aperture. There is a range of sizes available and I didn't want to go down the Blue Peter route of cutting out, rolling cardboard, glueing, etc.

You may want to consider a solar finder, too - it's amazing how difficult it can be to find the sun in your eyepiece ... (Having ensured the filter is securely fitted first!) I bought a cheap HelioPod (Google it) from a US company. It's a bit quirky at first but a nice, simple idea. There are, you'll not be surprised, many others.

Recent convert to Baader film here. Turning it into a usable filter is a little Blue Peter-esque and it doesn't have the aesthetic loveliness of a glass filter, but it's really given good views in my bins and it's very cheap compared to a "proper" filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello all, I am looking to get a whitelight filter and pop it onto my frac for some solar viewing but I am not sure as to which one i should go for. There is the OO glass type ones which seem the best quality and the film type by several manufacturers which are quite a bit cheaper.

Just want to know anyones opinions on what they use and why they prefer one to the other.

I have read a few threads but was looking for an up to date spread of personal views!

I also looked at a dark green wratten filter but I am not in a rush for that, I have some colour filters and can play about with that once i get the white light filter sorted out.

TIA all

Steve

Hi Steve

See my solar filter build for a 102 frac here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/218157-solar-filter-for-aa-102-edt/?hl=%2Bscrewfix

The best white light views come from a Herschel wedge.

Next best is Baader solar film

Last is glass filter which has an even lower Strehl factor than Baader film (hence why Baader film has higher contrast than glass filter)

If you are just getting into solar, your best bet to start with is a simple baader solar film filter.

If you develop a liking to it, then a Herschel Wedge and / or Ha telescope is the way to go.

THANKS ALL, THE GUIDE TO MAKING YOUR OWN is very good chris, I may go down that route. Would be the cheapest option for sure and the one you made looks pretty neat for sure. Agreed nicos, I will leave the wedge for now, too much money but I will take shanes offer up next time chance arises. thanks all, great response.

steve

Chris, that's a lovely job. All good stuff!

But it looks like you're much better at these things than I would be, so for an extra £11 or £12 - and none of the 'pottering' - it was an easy choice for me. However, if I was confident that my DIY filter would turn out like yours I might be tempted to save the cash for some other purchase, right enough ...

It's your call, Steve.

Stick with the Baader film , the views through the Seymour and ThousandOaks polymer film are very poor in comparison , as are those through 'glass' filters due to the lack of optical quality glass used in their manufacture    ( the exception being the "Zeiss" glass filters ... but these cost way more than a wedge ...  :rolleyes: ).

Ok sold on baader film. If i buy a single sheet i could possibly make one for frac and the dob with enough left over for replacements. The dob one is easy and gonig off steve owmuch the frac one wont be to big a deal either. Thanks again all. Steve

Archived