Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 power woes

iamjulian

Hello

I bought a second hand heq5 last week but struggling to get it to power up. It came with a "power pax uk" AC adapter 12v 5a. Now, if I power the mount I get a red light which I assume is good. But if I connect the synscan handset it is blank. Tried two additional rj45 cables but no change. If I put the 12v directly into the handset it powers up. Bit stuck now as to where to go from here so any advice most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Chap I bought it from has gone silent, though still hoping it is because he is too busy rather than purposely avoiding me. Tricky not to have a sinking feeling though :(

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it could be a faulty connection somewhere. I woukd have a look inside the two rj45 sockets and make sure there are no bent or broken pins. Also check for corrosion, espoicially if it's been outside a lot. Lastly you could check the solder connections on the two sockets but that woukd mean takin the mount and handset apart and you need to know what you are doing.

Primary approach is to get back to the seller as you mention. Failing that it is quite easy to drop the electronics out by unscrewing 2 screws below the control panel. This will expose the control board so you can check for continuity in your connections. I assume you connected the handset to the socket labelled the same rather than the ST4 port?

Rj45 pins look fine on mount and handset. And seller said only used mount two or three times and it does seem to be true judging by marks on dovetail.

Pretty sure I am using correct mount connection (rj45 would not fit other port would it?)

If all looks OK then really the only thing you can do is start taking it apart and testing things. If you're not up to it then perhaps you can find someone nearby who can help?

Oh, one other thought, do you know anyone else with the same mount? You could try your handset in their mount and vice-versa.

Just undid the 2 screws but the panel didn't drop very far. Enough to see there are wires where you would expect there to be wires, but that is the extent of my electronics knowledge :)

Finding someone else with an heq5 is a good shout. I also have the cable that allows mount to talk directly to computer (forget the name) so I shall try that too.

The computer/other handset is a good idea.

Also check that the replacement cables are the same type of RJ-45.

I think the Synscan handset uses a straight through cable (can't check mine at the moment :tongue:)  so make sure that the cable sequence going into the RJ-45 plug are the same on both ends of that cable. If there is a difference in the sequence then the cable is a crossover cable.

When I plug in my HEQ5 only the red light comes on. It doesn't 'wake up' until the handset or computer is connected up so I doubt the power is a problem.

If your anywhere near Stoke-On-Trent/Newcastle-Under-Lyme your always welcome to come and test using my power supply and handset.

I'm sure there will be someone on here closer though :grin:

Thank you!

Quick question but chap I bought it from says he is pretty sure that both the mount and the handset need a power source.  There is nothing in the instructions and all the videos I have watched seem to show the synscan handset being used without any external power, just the rj45 cable.  Does this cable provide the power for the handset, or am I being daft and it does require its own 12v supply?  Thanks

Hi

AFAIK Synscan handsets take their power from the mount power. I believe there is a power connector socket on the handset so that it can be used in a standalone mode i.e. not plugged into the mount (well, that's what it says in the manual! http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads/SynScan_HandControl_web_280313V3.pdf)

Might be worth double checking you have the right cable plugged into the right sockets - it should be an 8-pin RJ45. If you can try another 12V/5A adapter with 2.1mm centre positive connector, that might be helpful.

Louise

Thank you Louise, yes, the handset has a direct power socket and does light up when that is used. I am definitely using the correct socket for the mount. And last night I tried powering it from the car - again the the mount powered correctly, but the handset failed to show any sign of life.

The Synscan Handset (V3) will power up from a 2.1mm plug, i upgrade the firmware this way, but when plugged in the mount it takes it power from there, likely its a dodgy pin check there all still there and there a bent one would stop the plug going in anyway, leads whether they be power, usb, ect are 99% of faults found......

Thanks Tinker1947, have tried 3 leads and checked all the pins in the mount and inside the handset, all 'appear' to be ok. Going to try to test on someone else's mount as that should tell whether it is mount end or handset end causing the problem.

Taken the shine right off the telescope I can tell you :(

Thanks Tinker1947, have tried 3 leads and checked all the pins in the mount and inside the handset, all 'appear' to be ok. Going to try to test on someone else's mount as that should tell whether it is mount end or handset end causing the problem.

Taken the shine right off the telescope I can tell you :(

This maynot be of much help but the best thing is to check and see if the RJ45 on the mount is carrying power or not. As the handset seems to function with an external power so the problem is the of power from the mount to the handset. I am not sure how SW arranged the pins or if all the pins are used so with regret I can  not tell you which pins to check for power. It maybe something as simple as a broken connection on the mounts power point or at worst a  dead board. If you had  an EQ direct cable or GPUSB you could atleast check to see if the mount responds to move commands from a PC? This would indicate that the boards are not dead or otherwise.

wise.

A.G

Thanks for all the help everyone.  Really appreciate it.

Rob very kindly helped determine the problem is that power isn't getting from the mount to the handset.  A different handset works fine and my handset does not work on another mount.  I put it to the seller that the handset wasn't working and he offered a full refund for the full setup, so whether or not he knew it was broken, I cannot complain.

I don't want a refund, I just want to get it fixed.  Luckily, the handset does work with the mount if given direct power, so that is my plan.  Given that I am only planning to use the mount at home, within reach of a power socket, I am thinking a regulated 13.8v bench power supply.  Can I then split that power so that it feeds the mount and the handset?  And if so, how would I do that in terms of cables?  I'll probably be about 10 meters from the power point - is that likely to cause problems?  I know next to nothing about electricity :)

Thank you.

It was nice to meet you :smiley:

I run my mount with one of these:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

You could connect it to the mount with one of these perhaps?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skytron-power-supply-cable-skywatcher-eq3-2-eq5-heq5-eq6-series-mounts.html

The power supply is showing as out of stock on FLO, might be worth an Email to them to check availability and suitability for your needs.

Rob

And you, Rob.

I already have the SkyTron cable and a 4 way cigarette adapter.  Still trying to understand how the connecting up goes though.  Into the regulated power supply it looks like you plug the 2.1mm Jack?  So at the other end of the cable you have the cigar adapter thingy.  I need to work out how to get from there to something that will give me 2x 2.1mm jacks to go into the mount and handset :)

Archived