Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Proof of concept working, next step a moon and clear skies

BMK-SG1976

Hi there,

I hope no one minds me posting it here, I'm new, but it is imaging and I'm excited. As I said in my introductory post I just got my telescope back out since my son's a bit bigger. To make it interesting for him I'm going for simple astro imagery using the old converted webcam.

Well after finally getting my adaptor done I did a proof of concept test aiming out the window at a street lamp about 300 or so feet away. Glad to say that my webcam got an image that I could focus an at least make out what I was looking at. Better yet when I popped in my Barlow lense I could focus enough to make out the branch covering the lamp. Just waiting for my colimator to arrive.

I'm hoping my next post will be of the moon. Thanks for reading.

Hi there,

I hope no one minds me posting it here, I'm new, but it is imaging and I'm excited. As I said in my introductory post I just got my telescope back out since my son's a bit bigger. To make it interesting for him I'm going for simple astro imagery using the old converted webcam.

Well after finally getting my adaptor done I did a proof of concept test aiming out the window at a street lamp about 300 or so feet away. Glad to say that my webcam got an image that I could focus an at least make out what I was looking at. Better yet when I popped in my Barlow lense I could focus enough to make out the branch covering the lamp. Just waiting for my colimator to arrive.

I'm hoping my next post will be of the moon. Thanks for reading.

Well, lets have a look at the street lamp.

Jeremy.

Don't wait for the collimator. Just give it a go, you'll be amazed at the results with the moon.  Unfortunately beyond that is  when it starts getting a bit harder although Jupiter and Saturn can be very rewarding even with fairly basic set up.  

With smaller objects the hard part is acquiring the object as the sensor is quite small in the total field of view visually through the scope.  A flip  mirror is great at fixing this problem except it can cost up to 30x the cost of the webcam. However it is not impossible it justs need perseverance.  You can but try.

Don't be afraid to post the results.   The deep space stuff is exotic but webcam moon images that look like they are floating above the surface are rather nice.

Archived