Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New tripod needed

Hello again

I was observing last night using this set up, which I need to change.

I need a tripod with the numbers with the degree dial on the right so I can aim my telescope easily at parts of the sky.

Does this exist?

I currently have a L bracket with a 127 Mak and a 9x50 finderscope.

The mount is a 90v Virtusso.

It has a screw thread underneath thats size is 3/4.

But if I was to mount this on a tripod, it would be around 9 or 10kg......

I would prefer to do this, because then I wouldn't need to sell my mount which has tracking built in.. (Even though I can't get the tracking to work)

Here is a couple of photos of my current set up and the degree dial if I have confused anyone by it.

Any ideas?

post-21994-0-36817000-1413994672.jpg

post-21994-0-27454300-1413994701.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My phone doesn't support any apps that work like that.

The ebay link just looks like it would be a bit of hassle for me to use. Thanks anyway though :)

I just like being able to look at what number the arrow is pointing to on the dial then scan the part of sky I need to look at. It just seems so much easier to have it on the right next to the telescope with a arrow on it.

I don't think I would be using the tracking, as I havenever been able to get it to work.

The main thing I need is the circles on the right so I can see what angle I am at.

I dont mind if I can only attach the 127mak on a L bracket with the 9x50 finder scope.

I just need the degrees on the right

I have just ordered one of these to help me find stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wixey-Digital-Angle-Gauge-magnetic/dp/B00CEXR8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1414002569&sr=1-1&keywords=angle+wixey

I will use the method to set it on a known star if my base is not level.

Opps I see you already have a link.

Which way do you want help with aiming, left right or up down?

I thought to get the virtusso to work, you aimed it at polaris making sure it was level then switched it on.

But the tracking doesn't work, I'm not bothered about that, I haven't been able to get it working 5 months now so I've just given up with it

The protractor idea is a very good one!

Looking at the manual it reads like true north being horizontal flat at 0 to start the process (point pin 0). Then elevate the scope to your latitude say 51 degrees and point pin (which would be the latitude the Polaris is at for that location I think) with buttons stuff pressed when needed.

I very nearly bought one as it is an interesting mount.

Reading this post here

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/213682-help-with-synscan-handset/?fromsearch=1

I think it is not right you are aiming at Polaris when the mount is swtiched on it should be level horizontal at 0 I think reading the manual.

So place the tripod on a level sruface and face the scope north but the tube is horizontal and the dial is set with pin to 0 (not sure on the pin bit in the manual as I don't have a mount to look at).

Now turn it on.

Then you set the scope to point upwards to your latitude and turn the dial say to 51 then you press the buttons required together. 51 would have it point at Polaris should the scope be placed facing north and that is right for your latitude. To find out your latitude google your town name and latitude.

You have nothing to lose trying it again but don't do what you usually do.

(sorry if you already tried this but didn;t want to not post in case you hadn't)

Thanks for trying to help, I will try it again being as I've got nothing to lose.

So I will do this:

Put the mount level and at 0, then use the button to move it to 51, then press the set lattitude button.

I think the problem I may be having is that I am not pressing a tracking speed. But I thought it would do that automatically being as the lattitude is set.

Thanks, that camera tripod looks good, perfect for what I'd like to use it for :)

Thank you everyone else for the help

not quite reading the above take each step.

1 - mount must be OFF

2 - put the mount on level surface

3 - adjust the clutch knobs

4 - face the telescope north (the better this is the better your tracking) but the tube must be level/horizontal

5 - the dial should be reading 0

6 - now turn the mount ON

7 - next you then raise the telescope apperature end so that it is right for your latitude the dial for Stevenage would be reading 52 degrees (actual coordinates 51.9000° N, 0.2000° W for Stevenage) but I guess 51 is OK too.

8 - now press the two buttons "2b" and "3c" simultaneously.

Your latitude is now set and it should be able to track correctly and unltimately find the right objects if you were using the hand controller.

If you were to look through the finder it should be landing around polaris.

Once you have got the mount to correctly know your lattitude then next time you use it at that location it is quicker see page 6 in the manual as you don't need to tell it your latitude I guess it stores it (must be a small watch battery in it somewhere).

Good luck in cracking the setup and it working for you as it should.

I guess with step 4 you could actually get the telescope using the finder to be on polaris but then manually lower the telescope so that the altitude reads 0 (mount is off). If you did not know where north was otherwise.

Archived