Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LOgitech C160 as a polarscope cam?

Roy@Aldermaston

I've just put together a polar scope webcam using a Logitech C160 as the Phillips SPC900NC is no longer available at a sensible price.  Last night I tried it out for the first time and was disappointed to discover that although the reticule markings were clearly focused, there was no sign of Polaris. I played with the various settings in SharpCap, but couldn't find Polaris, which was bright and clearly visible by eye through the polar scope. I didn't have the SW Synscan handset connected and the reticule was quite brightly illuminated, which may have been part of the problem, but the clouds rolled in before I had chance to check it out.

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a solution - is the camera not up to the job, or is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Roy

• 2 months later...

Hi Roy,

I tried a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 camera a year ago or so with the same outcome. The chip type is just not sensitive to real low light conditions. The best types are CCD not CMOS.

Sorry to dampen spirits at this time of year!

Derek

Archived