Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide angle lens for canon

Hi I have a Canon and just recently purchased a 50 mm f1.8 , but another to consider is the Samyang 14mm  2.8 both are very good for wide-field astrophotography ,you can see some of the Milky way shots I have taken in my gallery with the 50mm

I've got a tamron 10-24 which is nice, and reasonably priced, but you may get vignetting with anything other than a full frame sensor, and i'm not sure what the 700 is.

James

If it's the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) then it's designed for APS-C (Crop) sensor cameras not full frame..  It can be mounted on a full frame camera but wont even fully illuminate the sensor at FL  shorter than about 16mm and even then you have quite a bit of Vignetting...

I have the lens and a range of crop and full frame camera bodies...

I also have the Samyang 14/2.8  and quite like it even on  the full frame bodies...

Peter...

Yes that is the lens, you are right, I meant it causes vihgnetting on my full frame Canon 6D, at about 17mm, but is great on the 600D.

I'd like something wide angle down to 10mm or so for the 6D but that is a low priority at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying my error :)

James

I bought myself a samyang 10mm f/2.8 for my 7d recently. Excellent lens!

I got the same lens for my Canon 600 and I love it too. OK images wide open at F/2.8 is almost unheard of. The only downsides is the lack of autofocus for daytime use and on my lens (and reportedly many other Samyang lenses) the distance scale isn't calibrated correctly but using live view makes that academic (and by now I know the offset). I just wish I had it this spring when I made an astrotrip to the Canaries with some of my friends from the local astronomy club.

Only gripe I have with my particular example of the Samyang 14/2.8 is that for astro  is that infinity focus isn't at the infinity mark  - I know you can adjust it but I haven't bothered...

For most terrestrial  shots especially stopped down a bit focus  the DOF of these shorter FL lenses means just about everything is pretty much in focus anyway unless you have a subject  that's pretty close to the lens.....

Peter...

I use the Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens with my Canon 70D (and previously the 40D). The focus is easy to set on manual to infinity. It's pricier than £300 but there may be cheaper ones 2nd hand.  There's a fair amount of distortion on the edges which makes shots of people and some landscapes look weird but for Astrophotography that shouldn't be a big concern. 

...another to consider is the Samyang 14mm  2.8 both are very good for wide-field ....

What he said. ;) Its affordable, and optics are pretty nice.

As for narrower lenses, such as 55mm, 130mm, 200mm, you cant go wrong with oldschool T2 threaded super-multi coated Pentax lenses from E-bay.

Edit: I'd advice against going for zoom lenses as very long exposures and stacked images will vignette like crazy. Oh, and stars will be elongated along the edges as well. how badly depends on your zoom lens. I tried with a 18-200mm Tamron lens a few weeks back and the result was so horrible I wanted to poke my eyes out. ;)

Archived