Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

is this andromeda?

Think its an artefact.  How long was the exposure...and how many? does not look in the correct place for Andromeda either. When you do a long exposure then there are two galaxies one being a lot smaller than andromeda (as per below...first ever DSO image using stacking...over processed to see what was there!). I have been wrong before though ;-)

med_gallery_27945_3370_13080802.jpg

I'm not sure ( as I don't know the field of view ), but I would suggest that what you've captured is Perseus to the bottom left and a bit of Andromeda and Triangulum to the right. It would appear to me that you've missed both M31 and M33, so what it is you've captured I'm afraid don't know.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Hi all, 

Thanks for your replies. Exposure was for 25 seconds, f3.5, 18mm. I was looking North easterly at about 22:45 at about 80 degrees. I'm surprised it's quite focused to be fair. It was a stab in the dark when focussing as the moon wasn't out and from where i was, i couldn't locate any bright enough objects to help me focus. Any tips when in this situation? 

Agreed that those are artifacts... Tree branches??

The field shows Perseus to the left side, I think you can just see where the Double Cluster and M34 are with a little stretch. Neither M31 nor M33 are in the field though

16c4ede560c94d113e13d0e5575a78d1.jpg

7f2e2deb58404ea66b089d5042fb899d.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following annotated images shows the actual objects that you have captured followed by a list of the major ones. Extracted from Astronomy.net

The artefacts at bottom right could be tree branches or antennae?

post-1029-0-90017500-1413971137_thumb.pn

IC 1848
M 34
NGC 1039
IC 1805
NGC 752
Triangulum galaxy
M 33
NGC 598
The star ρPer
The star Navi (εCas)
The star δPer
The star βTri
The star γPer
The star Ruchbah (δCas)
The star Almach (γ1And)
The star Algol (βPer)
The star Hamal (αAri)
The star Mirfak (αPer)
The constellation Triangulum (Tri)
Part of the constellation Perseus (Per)
Part of the constellation Cassiopeia (Cas)
Part of the constellation Aries (Ari)

Think its an artefact.  How long was the exposure...and how many? does not look in the correct place for Andromeda either. When you do a long exposure then there are two galaxies one being a lot smaller than andromeda (as per below...first ever DSO image using stacking...over processed to see what was there!). I have been wrong before though ;-)

med_gallery_27945_3370_13080802.jpg

Not two but three. You have M31, M32 and M110...

Olly

Archived