SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 130m eq-2

A local clubmate of mine has one of those. I've looked through it, and thought it was optically very good.

The main issue he had was setting up and using the EQ mount.

I ran through the procedure a couple of times in daylight, but in the dark on his own when using it, he got confused.

First thing is to set your latitude on the 0 to 90 scale, near enough is fine, and you only need to do that once.

Then do a polar alignment - point the main axis north. For basic observing, you only need casual alignment. Accurate alignment is only needed for imaging.

The other snag he had was he just couldn't get used to the optical finder. He got a Telrad, and was sorted.

HTH, Ed.

In my opinion the moon is quite a good first target as its quite large and is good practice for processing.

It can be quite hard to get Jupiter onto the webcam sensor as the sensor has a very small surface area.

Archived