Narrowband

Balancing. . .do I need more weight?

Hi

So I decided to set up my scope tonight with my new gear and familiarise myself with it all before the weekend.

I have a skywaycher explorer 130 and have added to it now with a 9x50 raci, Rigel quickfinder and bst 15mm ep.

These extras add significant weight to what I had previously and I'm struggling to balance the scope now. . do I need additional counterweight to compensate now?? Is this more spend before the weekend??

On the plus side the scope is now really looking the part and I'm thinking while its out I might take it in the garden for a bit ☺

Cheers

Craig

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem in the Dec. axis can be alleviated by sliding the 'scope in its tube rings with the telescope horizontal until you get a good balance - however, this balance may start to go out as the scope is rotated because the ancillaries are offset from the centre line. There is not a lot you can do about this unless you add small weights to the optical tube to offset the weight of the ancillaries but this does get complicated and is not really necessary.

If you cannot get balance in RA because the telescope is now too heavy, you will need to add more weight to the counterbalance bar and it is more important that you get this axis right.

I think your tube is steel, so these would work well. I use one on my dob.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-EXTRA-STRONG-MAGNETS-RUBBER-COATED-CAN-BE-USED-FOR-TAXI-ROOF-SIGNS-ETC-/271121678995?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item3f201c8293

out then on the bottom end of the tube on the opposite side of the tube to the weight at the top end (focuser, finder etc). you can obviously slide them about.

Is there a good and easy, or recommended way to add weight to the counterbalance bar?

I'm sure there must be a way to balance my setup, it must be a pretty standard set of kit I have.

I'm right in thinking when balanced the scope should move to any position with clutches unlocked and stay balanced in that position?

Cheers

Is there a good and easy, or recommended way to add weight to the counterbalance bar?

I'm sure there must be a way to balance my setup, it must be a pretty standard set of kit I have.

I'm right in thinking when balanced the scope should move to any position with clutches unlocked and stay balanced in that position?

Cheers

To add weight to the counterweight bar, you really need additional weight which you can buy. Otherwise I guess it is possible to rig something up but it needs to be stable.

On the second point, it is not quite as simple as that as the weight is not all on the axis of rotation. The finder scope is a little way off this line, so whilst the scope is balanced when horizontal it won't be when pointed further towards vertical.

As has been mentioned, the way to counter this is by adding a weight, possibly magnetic, to the opposite side of the tube to the finder to counteract this effect. It's a matter of trial and error really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these to add a second scope to a giro mount, but am not sure how it would help in this instance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you know a tame metalwork engineer, you could always make a longer rod out of A2 stainless steel, or there are some sites selling extensions. What this does is to move the weight you have further out, letting things balance again...

I had to do this when mounting my Canon camera A-Focally

Yeah its shocking, only got it out to familiarise myself with the setup. Away for 4 days at castle Howard caravan site, real dark and clear skies there so hoping for a good weekend. . .oh and I treat myself to the 8mm bst which arrived today :)

Archived