Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edge HD800 Viable on HEQ5?

For imaging.

I'm not buying just yet, but pushing ideas around for a 'scope with a longer FL as a "galaxy grabber".

So I'm thinking, Edge HD 800 + 0.7x FR. Then a SX OAG with my current SX Filter Wheel / Trius 694. Going the OAG route both to reduce flex and to reduce the mass my HEQ has to carry.

Is this a viable proposition? Or should I wait until I've got a better mount. I'm thinking Avalon M-Uno to avoid meridian reversal.

I'll also be looking into various dual rigs with my Meg 90 and possibly a wider field telescope / camera combination.

Hi Dave,

Yes, the EdgeHD 800 will work on an HEQ5. The OAG is a must though. I use a QSI with integrated OAG and can happily guide for 1200s subs. I'm sure longer would be possible, I just haven't tried yet. I have also successfully used the scope with a DSLR and the Celestron OAG, though that configuration didn't allow use of the reducer.

Here's a link to my last EdgeHD 800 project: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/225125-the-bubble-ngc7635-in-hargb/

My only other thought is that the scope is quite slow and does require a long exposure time to get half decent results.

You also mention a dual rig idea - I think that with the EdgeHD that might well be pushing the HEQ5 over the edge!

Good luck.

Sounds good! The HEQ5 would probably cope with that no problem.

I do like my EdgeHD, I just wish it was faster. Trouble is I'm not a big fan of diffraction spikes, so Galaxy hunting with no spikes has to be an SCT, or an extremely expensive refractor... One day!

I don't want to buy another mount until I get a permanent pier set up to put it on, though I have considered a belt-mod of my HEQ5, so although an AZ-EQ 6 might be a logical step up I'll pass until I'm ready for something a bit more up-market. So I'll put this on hold for a while.

Thanks Olly. Is that true that the HEQ5 is a bit of a lottery? Thank goodness I got a good un' - it was certainly quite a challenge to get it working with the edge. I couldn't have faced the struggle with a dodgy mount too though!

Anyway, the best thing for advancing your Astrophotography is a period of clear dark skies!

Well it's clear ATM and I'm trying to get some more subs of M27 before it moves out of the way. Nothing fancy 6 x 10 min Ha binned 1x1 to match some [OIII] I already have, then maybe on to The Pacman. Or else try the new IDAS filter I've just go on the Double Cluster.

It's clear but blowing a bit and my guide graph looks like the Himalayas. Not a chance with an Edge HD with that sort of graph!

Hah! For sure. I'm using the ED80 tonight, trying to gather the OIII subs to finish my mosaic of The Heart Nebula. I've been sitting on 3/4 of a project for the last two weeks, driving me potty waiting to finish it off! Hopefully tonight will do it.

Yes, a tad breezy, but thankfully my back garden is quite well protected. For once I'm happy to have a fairly high horizon!

Hah! Indeed. I've got reasonably high hedges around but it's still breezy.

After my last post I went out only to hear PHD bonging away, looked up, totally clouded over. Fortunately the wind blew the clouds out of the way after about 1/2 hour so I'm off again. I think this will be my last run on M27 for this year, now on to more favorably placed targets.

Thanks Olly. Is that true that the HEQ5 is a bit of a lottery? Thank goodness I got a good un' - it was certainly quite a challenge to get it working with the edge. I couldn't have faced the struggle with a dodgy mount too though!

Anyway, the best thing for advancing your Astrophotography is a period of clear dark skies!

I think the HEQ5 is a great mount, like the NEQ6, of which I have two. But at the focal length in question I don't believe that 'plug and play' can be guaranteed.

Olly

I think I'll wait until I've got through a bit more of the learning curve. I'm still liable to make a pig's ear of things, though I am getting better. This is really looking ahead to spring and galaxy time.

Archived