SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heq5 help needed!

Thalestris24

Hi

I'm trying to strip down my heq5 as it just won't behave. I'm following Astrobaby's guide. I've only got to the point where I need to remove the 'round nut' at the top of the declination shaft. I'm using snipe-nosed pliers but I can't budge it :(

Anybody had the experience of doing it? Any advice, help, suggestions?

Thanks

Louise

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm nuts like that can be hard to shift with pliers, apply plenty of lateral

force (into the mount) as you turn the pliers would be my initial advice or make

a tool using two nails and a piece of wood to make it easier.

It will probably turn ok but it just needs to get over that initial movement, I did

mine using two allen keys to allow me to get the initial force.

Kathleen

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I tried with an adjustable wrench across the pliers to get more torque but still nothing. I tried bashing a small screwdriver against the side of one hole but I just seem to be damaging the nut :( Do you think some WD40 would help? It's just a standalone nut isn't it? I started wondering whether I needed to loosen something else first but I can't see that anything else is involved.

Louise

Hi, I've not done that job and I do not know which nut you mean but it might be worth applying a tiny drop of WD40 or similar to the top of the nut and leaving for an hour or so, so that some works its way down the thread, Could lubricate/loosen the nut enough to allow you to turn.  

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I tried with an adjustable wrench across the pliers to get more torque but still nothing. I tried bashing a small screwdriver against the side of one hole but I just seem to be damaging the nut :( Do you think some WD40 would help? It's just a standalone nut isn't it? I started wondering whether I needed to loosen something else first but I can't see that anything else is involved.

Louise

We think alike  :smiley:

Hmmm well you could try the wd40 as its worth a try, hopefully they

haven't used threadlock on it or something like that.  I would try two nails

of the right size and a piece of wood or two allen keys crossed over

as it will be easier to apply an even force than using a screwdriver

into one of the holes as, as you have said, the nut will probably be

soft and will be damaged.  Is it a new HEQ5, I can't see them having

changed the design.

I'm a abit hesitant to mention it but to be honest if it was my mount

and I had a soft hammer like a rubber hammer I'd hit it a few taps to

see if you can break the seal like that, but I wouldn't use anything

other than a soft hammer.

Edit : sorry forgot to answer your question, yeah it is a standalone

nut.

If you had something like a lens spanner that might be worth trying.

Kathleen

Well I tried with two allen keys and pliers to rotate them together but no joy. It felt like the allen keys were going to snap... How can it be sooo tight?? :( I've got the DEC axis locked with the clutch otherwise it just tends to go round and round. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy some wd40 though I live in a flat and I'm not terribly keen on using it indoors...

Well I tried with two allen keys and pliers to rotate them together but no joy. It felt like the allen keys were going to snap... How can it be sooo tight?? :( I've got the DEC axis locked with the clutch otherwise it just tends to go round and round. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy some wd40 though I live in a flat and I'm not terribly keen on using it indoors...

Any penetrating oil will do the same job, you can buy in a "dropper" can rather than a spray so only a small amount would be necessary. 

Well if you want to use the penetrating oil option then just get a wd40 spray and

pad round the nut with a spare piece of cloth so to reduce where it goes, you

can target areas quite well with the little straw that comes with the average tin

of wd40.  You can get it at halfords if your close to one. 

Are you a member of any astro groups in glasgow that you could maybe get some

help if your really stuck ?  There are plenty of astro folk around the central belt and

glasgow.

Kathleen

Hi

I googled 'penetrating oil' and found you can make some with vegetable oil and acetone... Tried some but still no joy :( There is a GlasgowAstro Soc but I'm not a member. I think I really just need someone with some muscles... I don't have lots of DIY tools and bits so trying to make do. Whereas a piece of wood with nails in it sounds like it might do, I'd have to out and buy the wood and nails from somewhere. I'm not convinced it would work cos I'm using all my strength with the allen key method. Astrobaby makes it look so straightforward and simple! I think all I can do for the moment is to leave it and see if the oil soaks in and maybe eases things. The heq5 isn't a year old and there's obviously no rust or anything. Very frustrating!

Thanks

Louise

Hmmm well you could try the wd40 as its worth a try, hopefully they

haven't used threadlock on it or something like that.  I would try two nails

of the right size and a piece of wood or two allen keys crossed over

as it will be easier to apply an even force than using a screwdriver

into one of the holes as, as you have said, the nut will probably be

soft and will be damaged.  Is it a new HEQ5, I can't see them having

changed the design.

I'm a abit hesitant to mention it but to be honest if it was my mount

and I had a soft hammer like a rubber hammer I'd hit it a few taps to

see if you can break the seal like that, but I wouldn't use anything

other than a soft hammer.

Edit : sorry forgot to answer your question, yeah it is a standalone

nut.

If you had something like a lens spanner that might be worth trying.

Kathleen

Hi I looked up 'lens spanner' but they look too fragile... Why didn't Synta just use a hex nut!!!

Hehe probably to stop people taking them apart in the first place.

Well I only mentioned the lens spanner on the off chance you might have

had one to see if a better grip in the nut with some applied force would

have been enough to help make that initial movement.

If I had any business over in glasgow I would look at the nut for you

if you wanted Thalestris but can't see me being over in glasgow in awhile.

Can I ask are you changing the bearings or something with the mount hence

why your stripping it ?  I'm just wondering really.

Hehe probably to stop people taking them apart in the first place.

Well I only mentioned the lens spanner on the off chance you might have

had one to see if a better grip in the nut with some applied force would

have been enough to help make that initial movement.

If I had any business over in glasgow I would look at the nut for you

if you wanted Thalestris but can't see me being over in glasgow in awhile.

Can I ask are you changing the bearings or something with the mount hence

why your stripping it ?  I'm just wondering really.

Hiya

I'm stripping it down because I've had a long standing problem with the DEC axis. Guiding has been erratic above about 30 deg alt. I've not been able to fix it or blame it on anything else so I figured maybe I had some gunge or damage in the in the worm drive or DEC gear. The only way to be sure was to strip it down and have a look. I've previously minimized the backlash in the DEC motor gear. At least that was easy to access! If I can't undo the round nut I suppose I'll just have to put it back together and leave it as it is.

Thanks for the thought re looking at it - very kind. Shame you are in Edinburgh!

I let the nut soak for a bit but still can't shift it. I'll get some wd40 tomorrow and try it - failing that, I give up!

Thanks

Louise

Hi

I googled 'penetrating oil' and found you can make some with vegetable oil and acetone... Tried some but still no joy :( There is a GlasgowAstro Soc but I'm not a member. I think I really just need someone with some muscles... I don't have lots of DIY tools and bits so trying to make do. Whereas a piece of wood with nails in it sounds like it might do, I'd have to out and buy the wood and nails from somewhere. I'm not convinced it would work cos I'm using all my strength with the allen key method. Astrobaby makes it look so straightforward and simple! I think all I can do for the moment is to leave it and see if the oil soaks in and maybe eases things. The heq5 isn't a year old and there's obviously no rust or anything. Very frustrating!

Thanks

Louise

Penetrating oil is very thin and has "wicking" properties. i.e.it penetrates. I cannot see veg oil and acetone doing that very well but I am no chemist. The old favourite used to be "3 in 1" oil. I think I have seen it recently.  

If its the brass adjuster with the 2 slots (or holes)  in it, i used Cur-clip pliers they need to be a quality type the cheaper one just bend.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/professional-circlip-plier-pliers-carry/dp/B00DRFCZSU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413904931&sr=8-6&keywords=circlips+pliers

Hiya

Edit:

It's the round nut at the top of the DEC shaft

What do you think of these - they look like they have thicker tips:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Degree-Internal-Circlip-Plier-Orange/dp/B00AQWVO4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413905849&sr=8-1&keywords=8%22+Internal+Circlip+Pliers+%2890+Degree+Bent%29

None of them look stronger than my pliers but the bend ends might help?

Thanks

Louise

Personally I don't think you'll gain alot from them as the end's won't be long enough to
reach down to the nut so again they will be sitting at an angle which is also true of the pliers your
currently using.

Personally I don't think you'll gain alot from them as the end's won't be long enough to
reach down to the nut so again they will be sitting at an angle which is also true of the pliers your
currently using.

:( What a stupid design!

greetings

if you get the WD40 spray it into the lid while outside to make a small pool then use a cotton bud to dip the oil and dab into the location where needed, WD40 is my weapon of choice with 3-in-1 a close second.

Andy

Hiya

Edit:

It's the round nut at the top of the DEC shaft

What do you think of these - they look like they have thicker tips:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Degree-Internal-Circlip-Plier-Orange/dp/B00AQWVO4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413905849&sr=8-1&keywords=8%22+Internal+Circlip+Pliers+%2890+Degree+Bent%29

Thanks

Louise

I doubt they would be sturdy enough, not sure i had one of those nuts on my NEQ6 but if it need to be undone then we can do it,,,,,just need find the right type of pin wrench....something like this....that will fit into the reccess...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400717493348?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I doubt they would be sturdy enough, not sure i had one of those nuts on my NEQ6 but if it need to be undone then we can do it,,,,,just need find the right type of pin wrench....something like this....that will fit into the reccess...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400717493348?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Hi

Someone has kindly offered to make me a tool. It really shouldn't be this difficult to just undo a nut. Sigh.

I'll see how I get on tomorrow afternoon. The problem is that it's situated inside the cylinder so anything horizontal isn't likely to reach...

Thanks

Louise

Archived