Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would you do it

bomberbaz

This is reference to thinning down my eyepiece collection. I actually blame Alan Potts for planting the seed  :angry7: as he mentioned getting a Ethos in A thread and I foolishly followed this up via a google search and found a 8mm Ethos would theoretically cover the bases of a 8,10 and 12mm Delos in terms of FOV. I could sell 3 ep's and cover them with just the one.

I realise there is more to this such as seeing conditions on a given night, often they dont allow me to go below 12 ( you see I am already talking myself out of it ) so please confirm that it isn't a good idea really, steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think from the mid range towards the upper end of your scope and sky's magnification capability, there is a lot to be said for having quite a few eyepieces to give you options to get the best out of the seeing.

At the lower end, using an ethos to cover two or more other eyepieces makes alot more sense.

I think I'm agreeing that you shouldn't do this change.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal rule is to not sell anything until I prove to myself that I really won't need it and haven't used it for at least a year. The only exception is if I directly replace or upgrade an item, then the replaced item has to go as quickly as possible!

So, if you have used an eyepiece in the last year, hang on to it!

There is always that night when the seeing conditions are a bit exceptional & when that happened I wished that I had an eyepiece below 8mm..... 

We get enough cloudy nights so making the most of the clear ones is the name of the game.

I have 2 below  that now (4 & 7mm) but don't expect to use them as often as the mid range ones.

PhotoGav is spot on in keeping them for a year before selling.  If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Yes below 8mm might well occasionally be useful. Yet I decided to stopped at 8mm for high power (and sold a 7mm) in part influenced by adding a paracorr, where by the magnification has increased by 15%. 230X for my own observing circumstances is perhaps adequate. I have cut back a little with the number of eyepieces and currently use 26mm, 25mm, 20mm, 16mm, 13mm, 10mm, 8mm. The 26mm and 13mm receive the most use, though during my recent session, I used each one to a greater or lesser extent.  

The 25mm is a plossl and I am attempting to gain some use combined with a h-beta filter on faint nebula, time will tell.

don't think I could honestly bear to let the Delos go really, it would be like separating your children and selling them to strangers!  :eek:

Thats the way, don't do it, that Delos range you have are awesome.  The 8mm & 10mm I use are a pleasure and all features of them are spot on.  I dream of a 7mm Delos being introduced into the line up & would love to own the 14mm too.  Keep em mate they are awesome glass.

Thats the way, don't do it, that Delos range you have are awesome.  The 8mm & 10mm I use are a pleasure and all features of them are spot on.  I dream of a 7mm Delos being introduced into the line up & would love to own the 14mm too.  Keep em mate they are awesome glass.

They're fine for globs, most galaxies and a heap of nebulae.

However, we are heading into Open Cluster season........

I discovered this issue last night........ It was a sad moment. And possibly very expensive. :(

Paul

For me this would be a no brainer........bye bye Delos  :hello:

I don't believe one needs to fine tune on deep sky objects (I don't observe planets) and for me the 8mm ethos is the finest of all of the Ethos line. 

If I could afford the 8mm ethos I'd buy it immediately and if i had the delos to sell they'd already be gone.

They're fine for globs, most galaxies and a heap of nebulae.

However, we are heading into Open Cluster season........

I discovered this issue last night........ It was a sad moment. And possibly very expensive. :(

Paul

Thats where the 22 and 28mm come in. 1.1 and 1.6 tfov respectively, covers near everything out there in open clusters. However now I have the frac to fall back on also and this opens up options not covered by the dob. Think the Nirvana gives nearly 3.5 degrees in the frac  :eek:  shoulds cxover everything

I thought the key thing was that you often cannot use higher power than a 12mm. Just having the 8mm would leave you without a good choice too much of the time. The 8mm Ethos is lovely, but only if it's useable.....

I thought the key thing was that you often cannot use higher power than a 12mm. Just having the 8mm would leave you without a good choice too much of the time. The 8mm Ethos is lovely, but only if it's useable.....

Cannot use higher than 12mm, why ever not?

I agree that you don't need to fine tune mags when observing many DSOs as they are not as sensitive to seeing, but if the 8 is towards the upper end of the mag range then it is worth having a number of options to cope with the seeing

I have to admit I have grown fond of the views offered up by a 100° eyepiece. The only down side is they are big bulky things but going from the Delos to an Etho probably wouldn't seem so bad. As others have pointed out though the 8mm Etho would need the skies to play ball if it was going to see much use and the 13 or even the 17mm would be a better choice leaving you with a selection of magnifications in the Delos to match seeing conditions. I know this is not much help in that you plan to sell the Delos to fund the Etho but it gives you something to ask Santa for

Initially I did use less eyepieces and thinned the herd as I acquired the four Ethos eyepieces I currently have (21mm, 13mm, 8mm and 6mm). That thinning helped me to justify the cost. Ha, Ha ! :rolleyes2:

The Ethoi and the 31mm Nagler remain the mainstay of my eyepiece collection but somehow the herd has grown again around them as I found I wanted shorter focal lengths. Not having the budget for the Ethos SX 110 degree eyepieces I've gone for a mix of Pentax XW's (5mm and 3.5mm) and Radians (4mm and 3mm).

Lately I found I fancied a lightweight set as the above, as spaceboy says, are somewhat chunky units, so the herd has grown again to include five TV plossls and a couple of Baader GO's.

Once an "ocularholic", always an "ocularholic" I guess :rolleyes2:

Don't follow my example Steve, whatever you do !

Thats where the 22 and 28mm come in. 1.1 and 1.6 tfov respectively, covers near everything out there in open clusters. However now I have the frac to fall back on also and this opens up options not covered by the dob. Think the Nirvana gives nearly 3.5 degrees in the frac  :eek:  shoulds cxover everything

Indeed. That would have been my answer until last night.

Imagine the detail that 150x gives, but for the whole object.

I won't be upgrading my Delos pair any time soon on the basis the Delos is a spectacularly good eyepiece. And, to me, the additional outlay just to frame a handful of objects at high magnification isn't good value for money (at this time).

Paul

Initially I did use less eyepieces and thinned the herd as I acquired the four Ethos eyepieces I currently have (21mm, 13mm, 8mm and 6mm). That thinning helped me to justify the cost. Ha, Ha ! :rolleyes2:

The Ethoi and the 31mm Nagler remain the mainstay of my eyepiece collection but somehow the herd has grown again around them as I found I wanted shorter focal lengths. Not having the budget for the Ethos SX 110 degree eyepieces I've gone for a mix of Pentax XW's (5mm and 3.5mm) and Radians (4mm and 3mm).

Lately I found I fancied a lightweight set as the above, as spaceboy says, are somewhat chunky units, so the herd has grown again to include five TV plossls and a couple of Baader GO's.

Once an "ocularholic", always an "ocularholic" I guess :rolleyes2:

Don't follow my example Steve, whatever you do !

And in another thread I made you told me!

I've voted no on the basis that I don't think you need to plug that focal length given the other eyepieces in your collection:

r

Only pulling your leg john, sorry couldn't resist

Yeah good point stu although what I meant was my usual viewing ep was between 8-12 not limited to, sorry wasn't clear on that. I tend to view a lot in that fl although my 22 see's some fair action. Once cooled I almost always manage 8mm but not always.

To clarify I have sacked the idea of a ethos, great eyepieces though they are I think i really do prefer the larger range of eyepiece and is one of the reasons i am thinking of the 9 mm SLV.

Archived