SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telephoto lens for solar photography

Observing the enormous spot on the surface of the Sun over the last few days through my bins with Baader film has really ignited something in me. Yesterday I tried to sketch the spot at lunchtime, but now realise why my art teacher once commented on one of my creations "that's cr*p, that is, Paul". So I'm thinking about some basic imaging solely for the purpose of providing me with an accurate record of what I saw.

I have a Canon EOS 1000D camera, which has a 18-55mm lens. I'm thinking about purchasing a telephoto lens to which I'll attach a homemade Baader filter. Can anyone provide any guidance about what sort of lens would be suitable? I don't have a driven mount, although I'm aware of the amazing mounts now available for relatively affordable beer. But would I really need a driven mount for solar imaging, as I assume exposures are fairly short and sharp?

Would love some guidance from anyone who's got experience at this sort of thing. My only imaging history is of Hale Bopp when he was around, so it's been a very long while indeed. Remember the days when you'd have to send your film off and WAIT for the result?!

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Paul

You need something around 400mm FL to get lunar/solar images with a decent amount of detail although the kit 75-300mm lens might be ok.

The other options is to try a 500mm mirror lens or get an old M42 telephoto with a suitable M42/EOS adapter unless you want to splash out on a canon one.

Alan

A cheap mirror lens would do the job, like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rokinon-f-500mm-Mirror-Lens-/231363223396?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35de529f64

I think most of them you will need a t-adapter to mount which will be the same as the ones you use to connect it to a scope.

I keep meaning to buy one of these lenses for some moon images but I keep finding something else to buy instead.

Thanks everyone - very helpful. Am I ok without a driven mount? My instinct says that exposures will be short enough for it now to be a problem, but I'm new to this. A driven mount might be nice in the future for some nighttime work, although judging by this morning's skies I'm not sure it'll ever be clear again...

I can get decent lunar shots with my 250mm lens but given the typical size of sunspots you might want a bit more focal length for solar imaging as Alien 13 says. A driven mount shouldn't be essential, assuming use of the solar film doesn't push up the exposure time too much. I've shot the Moon at 450mm from a wobbly tripod.

I use older 60's and 70's Ashai Pentax telephoto lenses because they can be tilted at any angle and the way they are designed the focus ring stays put and stays focused. You don't have to mess around with it all night. They are also super sharp at the long end range. I have a 300mm that is perfect for what your doing.

A cheap mirror lens would do the job, like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rokinon-f-500mm-Mirror-Lens-/231363223396?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35de529f64

I think most of them you will need a t-adapter to mount which will be the same as the ones you use to connect it to a scope.

I keep meaning to buy one of these lenses for some moon images but I keep finding something else to buy instead.

Well, my 500mm mirror lens arrived on Friday along with a T-ring and remote cable, so hopefully will be able to set it up today and get my first shots. Thank you so much for pointing me towards these.

Paul

I use an old prime 300mm lens (Nikon, f4) with a 2x teleconverter to gain image scale, shoot 10 images and then stack in Registax. For example (yesterday):-

Chris

Great shot, Chris. It never occurred to me to stack the images (told you I was new to imaging!!) but that might be worth dabbling with. Unfortunately it was cloudy here all day today so no joy with my "first light".

Great shot, Chris. It never occurred to me to stack the images (told you I was new to imaging!!) but that might be worth dabbling with. Unfortunately it was cloudy here all day today so no joy with my "first light".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

The original is much sharper and nearer to the "true" colour of the Sun. Uploading files often seems to degrade them.......Probably me and my very limited imaging skills!

Chris

Archived