SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Low Power/Wide Field Binos?

Alfian

Hi all,  I have decided to replace my ageing Vivitar 7x42s (roofs’)which over the years I have used for just about everything but in more recent times used for initial sweeps of the night sky. Though low power they have a 6.3 degree fov which in reality works out to about a useful 5 degrees. I like wide field views and I am looking for something wider.

I looked at a whole plethora of 8x40/8x42s but ...? Choices of half decent 10x50s usually comes down to an acknowledged good handful of binos to choose from, but for 8x40 somethings - especially roof prism binos - the choice is huge and sorting out the wheat from the chaff is quite a task.

Despite the potentially overlarge (for me) exit pupil I went back to 7x and looked at the Opticron 7x42s and also the Strathspey 7x50 Marine - which I believe are probably more like 7x43 - but the fov at about 7.2 and 7 degrees is a bit disappointing. 

I have now come across the Nikon Action Ex  7x35 which have a considerable 9.3 degree fov and from what I can glean, their owners seem happy with them. Given that they can be bought for under a £100 in several places they are a little bit tempting!

Any thoughts or advice?

I had some Action Extreme 10x50's and could not use them, and I've handled a few binoculars in my time. I have now favoured the 8x40 Helios. They seem much brighter and sharper than my older Bresser 7x50's. Plus the nature sports were being sold very cheaply by our site sponsor, but alas the price has since increased. I have no regrets about the purchase.

As you say, its a minefield trying to choose.

I also went down the route of very cheap, against other retailers, and didn't get what I wanted, so have a little caution as to how cheap is cheap? My comments are in the threads somewhere in the binocular section.

Hi Charic, I'd noticed that the Nikon Action EX series do tend to polarise people - some love 'em, some don't.  The roof prism bino choice does seem to be bewildering. Our Sponsor has the B&S Sierra 8x42s roofs' at £79. FMC and phase coated BAK4s and 7.3 degree fov - looks good, but there are so may others! 

I thought I'd stick (at least for now!) with a good old fashioned porro with a a hope of some quality at a reasonable price. To that end the Imagics are tempting but the Action Ex  9.3 fov has got my curiosity going.

As to buying cheap - I do know what you mean, but even so the Action Ex 7x35s are not an out and out expensive bino to start with. 

.......... iMagic's were highly recommended by flo  in 10x50 flavour, but the Helios at their special  Summer price  was too good an offer not to try them, they have  8.2° fov.  My 15x70's get more terrestrial useage and the older 7x50's are redundant at present?

I must confess that I had not really considered the Helios Nature Sport + 8x42 Porros but having now looked them up they do look good. Seems they are akin to the  Opticron Aspherics (which now seem to be discontinued/unavailable) and the Orion Ultraviews - which again seem to get the thumbs up. Another to ponder over.

I've got the Nikon Action Ex 7x35, They have the same size prisms as the 10x50 which is how they get such a wide field I believe.

They are quite heavy, the outer field of view isn't sharp and the twist up eyecups aren't very soft but I kind of like them.

If you look on cloudy nights forum they generally get decent reviews.

James.

Thanks for the comments Charic, James & Steve. You've set me thinking Steve re the Raptors - by coincidence last night I was hunting and following links, as you do, and came across the Leupold BX1 Yosemite 6x30s which again seem to get a good press as good quality for money. A quick search on the Raptors seems to indicate that they are from the same stable as the Yosemites.

Bristol Cameras are selling them for £89 including shipping and of course there is the Vortex unlimited lifetime warrante!  

Just when I thought I might go for the NIkons you've set me thinking.

Now you're teasing!  Interesting turn of phrase too - "drop another moggie into the culvers" - local expression? (poor moggie!)  For the Meopros the exchange rate would have to be extremely favourable - but amongst the many roof prism binos I looked at was the "new" Celestron Nature DX 8x42 which, like many, looks good on paper at least. This league table also seems to rate them:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/bbimages/lb/2013/autumn/bins/Binocular_review_full_spreadsheet.pdf

At just over £100 from the astronomy centre they might be a good buy.

However I'm a bit hooked on the wide Porro idea and the Raptors are growing on me a lot. The one thing that niggles me about the Nikons and the NatureSports for that matter is that they both must use eyepieces at over 65 degree afov. At the budget end of things that must be pushing it a bit. MY W0 10x50s have a 63 degree afov but they are up the scale a bit. The Raptors with their near 50 degree afov does seem like a better bet - or have I got it completely wrong.

The TS Optics site has the Kowa 6 x 30 binos which from this "conversation" 

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=218833

has more than a passing resemblance to the Raptors (Leupolds etc) - interesting.

Its not where I thought I would be but I'm close clicking the mouse on the Raptors.

"drop another moggie into the culvers" - local expression?

Nah, just being pretentious. :grin:

The one thing that niggles me about the Nikons and the NatureSports for that matter is that they both must use eyepieces at over 65 degree afov. At the budget end of things that must be pushing it a bit. MY W0 10x50s have a 63 degree afov but they are up the scale a bit. The Raptors with their near 50 degree afov does seem like a better bet - or have I got it completely wrong.

No, I don't think you have.

The TS Optics site has the Kowa 6 x 30 binos which from this "conversation" 

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=218833

has more than a passing resemblance to the Raptors (Leupolds etc)

Definitely bears more than a passing resemblance to the Yosemites.

Archived