Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece set for Equinox 80 refractor

AndrewP

I recently started a thread on using a binoviewer with my newly acquired Skywatcher Equinox 80ED. Although that remains an ambition of mine, I've shelved the idea for now in favour of building up a set of EPs that I can use in normal cyclops mode for the time being. I'm starting from scratch as I sold all of my astro gear some years ago when family and job commitments got too much.

I've done a tonne of reading and have also been playing around with an eyepiece calculator and really I would love to have a check of my thoughts before I start spending, especially from owners of 80mm scopes like mine. Like most people I want the best bang for my buck and whilst I'm not in the market for premium EPs quite yet, I'd like to get some reasonably decent stuff from the word go. So far, I've (sort of) decided on the following:

35mm Skywatcher Aero

16mm Maxvision

8mm BST Starguider

3-6mm TV Nagler Zoom

Obviously I'm trying to cover all bases here! Any thoughts on the above, good or bad?

What you have listed looks to be a very good list of EP's that cover a wide range. Good FOV's and range of magnification for your chosen instrument. My only questions would be regards what are you planning to go after? And is your focus solely visual? Or is imaging on your list as well?

Thus far it looks very good and all inclusive.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's appereciated. In answer to your questions, the scope is purely for visual grab and go, definitely no imaging. I travel abroad a lot so plan to take it to clear, dark skies as much as possible. As far as targets go, pretty much everything, although I'm very aware that 80mm is going to be a little limiting on faint DSOs.

I did think earlier I may swap the SW 35mm Aero for a Maxvision 34mm but to be honest they seem pretty close in price and performance so either would probably suit.

Robin, thanks, much appreciated. I read your page on EPs which was very helpful.

Nicos, good call yes, although I used to own one a few years ago and used it with my TV85 and later with a Megrez 90 and I loved it! I got on with it fine, so assuming my eyes are still ok I'm hoping it should work.

Right then, credit card coming out....

Archived