Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark first light just

Davey-T

Finally got more than 5 min's Sun this morning to get to grips with the Quark and compare it to the LS60DS, quick first impression Quark for amazing close up detail, LS60 for full disc. I have the Quark on  100mm f/6 refractor and using an old Meade 40mm plossl can't get a full disc, it also has so much eye relief I have to try and hold my eye steady away from the eyepiece, also means I  need a better sun shield for the Quark, I can get away with using a peaked cap on the LS60 .

A shorter focal length refractor would get more disc, no good at math so can't work out what combo' of scope, eyepiece Quark would give a full disc.

One thing I can say for sure the Baader zoom, which is superb in the LS60 doesn't work in the Quark.

I have a selection of various focal length refractors so will give them all a try if we get a nice sunny day.

Staring at the large sunspot with the  the Quark I swear I can see movement around it.

Still hoping it stays fine long enough to try out the PG Blackfly so got to go now for more Quarking.

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Dave, sounds promising. I think around 450mm focal length is supposed to give you full disk. TV Plossls are recommended quite strongly too.

I have a Tak FS-60C which has a 355mm focal length which should be great for full disk, along with 32 and 25mm TVPs.

Hoping to get some views this weekend, in the 60 and 85mm

EDIT Of course I meant 450mm, not 45m!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new Quark, and its first light. I was hoping to try a Quark in my ST80, which should give full disk views, but my APM 80mm F/6 at 480mm focal length will be borderline.  

You can get full disc views with an Equinox 80mm with binoviewers and 32mm Plossls.  :smiley:

I have a ST80 so will try that sometime to compare full discs.

Just got Firecapture and Blackfly to talk to each other when it clouded over, not looking good at the moment so have parked scope and closed roof, left Quark turned on just in case :)

Must also fit in a trip to TH to get a couple of TV plossls.

Dave

You can get full disc views with an Equinox 80mm with binoviewers and 32mm Plossls.  :smiley:

Which binoviewers Peter, I have some cheap Revelation ones, only tried them once in the LS60 and couldn't get on with them.

Dave

It is just a matter of the image circle of the Quark (21 mm) combined with the 4.2x tele-centric lens. This means that the focal length of the scope is critical. I gather 450 mm is the maximum.

Going to make this a rush, for I'm about to begin a session :p But couldn't one work out a rough guide to full disc by multiplying the focal length of the scope by 4.2, divide this number by the focal length of the eyepiece to get X, and then divide the field of view of the eyepiece by X?

So, a 480mm frac x 4.2 = 2016mm.

2016 / (32mm TV plossl) = 63

50º plossl's field of view / 63 = 0.7º

Seeing the Sun is about 0.5º, a 32mm TV plossl or 24mm Panoptic won't get the full disc in a 480mm focal length frac. But with the aid of a 0.5 reducer, one should be able to do so.

Would this kind of sum give one an idea of what is going on?

For curiosity,

Why TV ploss?

Thanks

Paul

The Quark appears to work better with 'slow' eyepieces ie those with smaller fields of view. Plossls are a simple design with minimal elements and 50 degree AFOV, and TV's in particular have good scatter control in terms of baffling and blackening of all the necessary surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu. Great to see the quark is working out great for you. I see you are using it in and 85mm and a 100mm. I heard over 100mm you need to use a solar rejection filter? (expensive).

Do you use one or is it ok without? As im planning a 107mm TS scope that has remove able sections for bino viewing as im a bino freak.

Hi Stu. Great to see the quark is working out great for you. I see you are using it in and 85mm and a 100mm. I heard over 100mm you need to use a solar rejection filter? (expensive).

Do you use one or is it ok without? As im planning a 107mm TS scope that has remove able sections for bino viewing as im a bino freak.

The information on this is a little vague, but I am basing my decisions on the instructions with the Quark. They say up to around 120mm is ok with a UV/IR cut filter in front of the diagonal. I use a 2" diagonal and filter and this seems fine even in the 120ED.

On the subject of binoviewing with the Quark, I've not tried it yet but will do soon. I understand that there is plenty of back focus because of the x4.2 Barlow built into the Quark.

Stu

Thanks stu, thats a great to know as UV filters are not that expensive.

Yeah the bino viewing subject is really confusing. As usually you need to place a barlow onto the front of a bino viewer to achieve focus. Yet i cant imagine binos working in a quark without the barlow in place, as im sure the built in barlow is for the quark to function?

Look forward to an update on how you get on with one with the quark. I love white light with binos. Can view for hrs.

I wrote to daystar asking about their new x1 quark version. Is it worth waiting for it or does the x5 inbuilt in barlow have its benefits?

My fear is that x5 produces too much mag and the image would be soft.

In your setups whats mags are you getting and what mags do you feel gives the best sharpness & detail?

Thanks dave [emoji106]

From the photo. If i was to be seeing that thru an eyepiece i would describe it as 5/10 for sharpness, thats with my iphone held at typing distance. Or is that forum compression making the photo look blurrier than it really is?

With my phone held at arms length, actually thats probably more like what the view would look like thru a scope, then i would describe the sharpness to be 7/10.

Looking forward to input from other others.

Archived