SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR for Planetary?

StevieO

Hi,

I currently use my unmodded Canon 700D for DSO imaging until such time as I can afford a decent CCD camera and until I've developed the skills to justify the purchase.

I would like, if possible to additionally use the DSLR for planetary imaging through my SW 100ED mounted on a Celestron AVX, using its video capability. The video file is in a Canon MOV format at 25fps, which Registax doesn't support, but I've found WINFF, a good piece of (free) software which will convert it to AVI.

I've tested a converted file in Registax and it works. It seems all I need to do now is buy a suitable Barlow, say 2.5 times to increase my 900mm FL to 2250mm and choose a clear night for Jupiter et al to be within my grasp.

My limited experience of astro imaging has taught me that nothing is as simple as it seems, so there must be some reason why it won't work.

I'd be grateful if anybody who's gone down this road could let me know the result.

StevieO

Hi StevieO...........your remark "nothing is as simple as it seems" covers a multitude of things when it comes to astronomy. It seems no matter what you do, there is always something else that will be affected. 

Someone more adept at Astrophotography will put you right shortly.

CCD is getting less and less common in planetary imaging these days. DSLR can be used, although it may be bit impractical sometimes, and not as effective as those dedicated cameras. As for Barlow - you can't add as much as you like, you are limited by telescope resolving power. For given pixel size there is maximal-optimal f/ratio you can use, around: pixel size / 0,275. So you need to check DSLR pixel size and what it does during AVI capture (does it crop the field of view, or bins pixels for smaller frame - then pixel size virtually increases and slower f/ratios can be used).

Hi, I had one go at using my 1100D for planetary imaging, here are the results:

14106862828_ed0b88fc60_o.jpg

14113875368_f8647c5177_o.jpg

(This was with a 12" newtonian and 4x barlow though, giving an effective focal length of 6 metres.)

Not the best tool for the job but I was pleased with the result. I used APT in planetary mode to capture the source frames rather than using the video mode on the camera itself.

The main point to be aware of is that the captured vid file may be compressed! Which you dont want! You want uncompressed vid output from the DSLR which is why liveview capture is often used or magiclantern. Barlow up to match the pix size to your optical resolution.

P

• 1 month later...

That's an excellent image.

I did manage to get video footage of Jupiter the other night, in Canon MOV format, which I converted to AVI in WINFF, then fed into Registax. The result (attached) was, to say the least, disappointing. 

So I've managed to find a Philips SPC900 on ebay and will go with that.

I wonder if there will come a time in the distant future when I can sit back and say "Hold, I have enough stuff".

StevieO

MVI_0589.bmp

It never ends....just gets more expensive ;-) plus your particular subject might change so therefore different requirements. 

The only constant....(apart from rubbish weather) is that Data is king....slowly learning this lesson.

Good luck though!

Archived