Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short Andromeda with ST80

Rudeviewer

I recently purchased an Orion ST80 Achro for guiding.  I wanted to see how it would do for AP and this is the first image I have come up with.

7 x 5:00 minute shots @ 800 ISO

3 x Darks

Process could use a lil work and star shapes aren't that great, due to me using a few subs that were unguided in this image.  Pretty happy considering this scope was 100.00$

Image was cropped just to have galaxy in the image, and of course for size.

post-34263-0-92520700-1413008343_thumb.p

For the small price I paid for the scope I am very surprised.   I will be visiting many more widefield targets.  I tried a few minute subs on the bubble, but without a modded dslr not much came through except the star cluster near the bubble.

I tried again last night to see if I could do better with Andromeda this time.  I got to use a focus mask and got focus a little better and I got the graph in phd to calm down a bit.  This scope has stars shaped a bit funny but not too bad for a about 1 hr 30 mins of exposure.  1600 iso.  I may try to integrate this with my old data and see if I can get the core down a bit. 

post-34263-0-09623200-1413388804_thumb.p

Amazingly good for a cheap scope and a DSLR :)

I have a spare ST80 bought originally for guiding and was wondering just how good it would be for imaging.  I wasn't expecting it to have a flat image but this image seems to show it has (or at least a reasonably flat image).

Thanks all!  Here is my last go at the processing a little bit less stretched.  It really makes me want an APO but well I am already too deep in to AP lol, wife will kill me.  Maybe someday, but for now its back to the 203 newt @4.9. 

post-34263-0-12087400-1413581423_thumb.p

I remember getting shot down big time a couple of years ago when I suggested the ST80 to someone who wanted to image on a really tight budget. Your m31 image proves it can be done! sure its got CA but I'm sure plenty of peeps starting out with imaging would be happy with what this little easy to use scope can do :)

Good work :)

Yea the CA is a little tough to deal with, but for a simple widefield its great.  Plus it lets you learn a little more photoshop techniques for getting stars a bit under control.  I tried to select the stars that had a lot and do a minimum filter on just those stars that helped a bit. 

Archived