SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ATIK16IC colour FIT files processing help.

Hello fellow humans. I've run into an issue with bunch of files.

I've taken colour pictures of M42. While capturing it I could see the colour of the nebulae and so on.

When I transferred the FIT files to registax all I could see was the brightest core of the nebulae and few stars and no colour whatsoever.

I captured the shots using Artemis software.

I know I'm missing a trick here but not sure where and which software could help me.

Many thanks for your input x

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm - have they been debayered? (if not they'll look like they have odd mono square pattern).

Secondly - I found that registax doesn't like some FITS due to the number ranges in use.

I've used a batch conversion before using PI or Neb to load and then resave as either TIFF or again as a 16bbp FITS but this sorts out any sign or number issues..

Hello fellow humans. I've run into an issue with bunch of files.

I've taken colour pictures of M42. While capturing it I could see the colour of the nebulae and so on.

When I transferred the FIT files to registax all I could see was the brightest core of the nebulae and few stars and no colour whatsoever.

I captured the shots using Artemis software.

I know I'm missing a trick here but not sure where and which software could help me.

Many thanks for your input x

First of all Artemis capture applies an auto stretch to the subs for viewing sake but the saved files are in the raw linear format. You need to calibrate these subs and then debayer and stack them to get a master light. This master light will then has to be stretched for the image to appear. If I were you I would not use Registax to stretch  a DSO image it is more suited to planetary.

A.G

Yes, Registax isn't ideal. DSS is free.

Atik have their own deBayering software. I can't remember the name but it is part of the package for the colour cameras. However, I'm pretty sure DSS can do it. Usually you need to tell the software what the Bayer pattern of your chip is, ie which pixels lie under which colour, which is a matter of trial and error but there are not too many permutations.

I processed Atik OSC images in AstroArt, which is very competent software.

Olly

bit

Yes, Registax isn't ideal. DSS is free.

Atik have their own deBayering software. I can't remember the name but it is part of the package for the colour cameras. However, I'm pretty sure DSS can do it. Usually you need to tell the software what the Bayer pattern of your chip is, ie which pixels lie under which colour, which is a matter of trial and error but there are not too many permutations.

I processed Atik OSC images in AstroArt, which is very competent software.

Olly

The software is called DAWN and it is a bit of an oddity but it does work fast and it is free as is DSS. The bayer marirx is RGGB or atleast that is what works for me in any case if the Op takes a daytime image with the set up and tries the bayer one of them will give him a correct image but I am sure that RGGB will work. 

A.G

The software is called DAWN and it is a bit of an oddity but it does work fast and it is free as is DSS. The bayer marirx is RGGB or atleast that is what works for me in any case if the Op takes a daytime image with the set up and tries the bayer one of them will give him a correct image but I am sure that RGGB will work. 

A.G

I checked for their OSC cameras and it's called Artemis RGB, but maybe it's now bundled with Dawn? You can get from the Atik website. It will come with the software for the 16ic. You're right about a quick daytime test. It doesn't take a sec.

Olly

Archived