Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pixinsight Cosmetic Correction

Is it possible to use cosmetic correction to eliminate Hot warm and cold pixels on a master dark frame , and save it as a process icon in order to eliminate darks, and just use a master bias when calibrating with no darks.

Is it similar to creating a hot pixel map?

Regards,

Simon

Afraid not! Darks do more than just ry and eliminate hot,cold,warm pixels. They are letting you remove the non-random noise in the frame,mainly due to the sensors temperature. PI is v good at scaling a master dark so you dont have to do a set of darks for every light imaging session..but the master dark needs to be at a close temperature to the lights (few degrees ish).

P

So basically does that mean Yes I can use it to avoid using darks?

Im sure some people dont use darks, try running the calibration with a Cosmetic Correction but with no darks and see how it comes out.

Singlin

I have used only a master bias calibrating my 383L+ (compiled using the new super bias process) and I had good results to date.  I do feel that a master dark will only benefit the calibration though and produce a less noisy image: I understand that a master dark is commonly used on the Kodak 8300 sensor.  I have now taken a dark library but have yet to apply it as I have been using my 460EX recently.

I was very glad to read that you've worked through your Mesu installation . . . you must be relieved to be imaging and I hope it brings you good results.

HTH

Barry

Singlin

I forgot to mention, I also have a saved Cosmetic Correction process for both the 383L+ and 460EX which I use as part of the Batch Processing - they definitely help image quality and I would recommend using one.

If you haven't yet found Harry's PI tutorials, navigate your way there, they are a fabulous resource, and he deserves a medal!  http://www.harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight%20video%20html/Pixinsighthome.html.

Barry

Hi

I never use darks only bias and cosmetic correction , I think this is only a option with cooled ccd cameras though

Harry

depends where the main noise source lies. properly scaled darks should always improve the overall SNR, but may be v marginal with coold ccd where noise is bias and background sky limited.

P

Thanks Harry and a big thanks for the videos too.

I have the videos running on on my 8" Tab whilst processing on my pc. :grin:

I have a new term for our weather at the moment-"Harry page weather"

I am getting allot of practice in with the videos.

Archived