Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another E.P advice thread (sorry I know they can be boring).

jabeoo1

I have read the threads, and umm'd & aaahh'd. 

I don't need to sell any E.P's to fund another, but really just want some of you ladies & gents to throw your views in on the following:

Low power = 26mm Nagler (giving x 61).  I love this eyepiece lots & would only part exchange it for a 21mm ethos, but not yet, if ever.

Mid power =  The mid power is where the 15mm plossl steps in.

High Power = 10mm & 8mm Delos (x 160 & x200).  I like these 2 for planets & Lunar (I switch as seeing allows).  Good on doubles & deeper sky stuff too. 

Highest Power = 6mm Radian (x 266). This has rare use in my main scope but is used mostly in my other grab & go dob giving me x 74.  When the seeing allowed the lunar views nearly took my face off at x 266 !

Plossls: 20mm 15mm & 11mm.  I like having these small E.P's for an easy lazy sessions where counter weight balance is not needed, easy alignment on setup, other scopes etc.

So any advice on your experience with what is my middle range E.P's to bridge the gap ? I suspect its really FOV I miss in the mid-range in all fairness. 

Thanks

Optically the 15mm TV plossl will be doing as well as the Naglers and Deloi but it may seem to lack impact and engagement because of it's narrower field of view. Shane's solutions would work excellently. I also liked the 13mm T6 Nagler which packs such a punch in it's compact form.

I'm assuming you want to stick with a Tele Vue of some flavour in there.

very simple.it seems you like Televues as such for mid powers:TELEVUE ETHOS 13mm.

alternatives:Delos 14mm or Nagler 13mm

I was afraid someone may say an Ethos & in capitols too !  I have never looked in one & the out lay is high but I don't doubt the views.   

here's my thinking http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188794-eyepiece-groups/ although I sold my Ethos and have now added a 12mm and 16mm T2 Nagler and also a 40mm TV Widefield. In your shoes I would get a 17mm T4, 16mm T2 or 16mm T5 Nagler depending on your preferences.

I need to read what the T4 T2 & T5 offer in terms of differences other than focal length & specifically what it equates to in my scope I guess.  I guess eye relief & 1.25 " / 2 " may well be a consideration.

Optically the 15mm TV plossl will be doing as well as the Naglers and Deloi but it may seem to lack impact and engagement because of it's narrower field of view. Shane's solutions would work excellently. I also liked the 13mm T6 Nagler which packs such a punch in it's compact form.

I'm assuming you want to stick with a Tele Vue of some flavour in there.

I don't really mind another flavour of E.P John, I won't turn my nose up at anything decent :)

It just seems I have been lucky & grabbed most of these second hand along the way, so its been green & black since the start. I only got the 15mm & 20mm new !  It's really the choices in the mid focal lengths seems more complicated to me as many of the ranges cross over this middle ground.   The Nagler choices here are insane with 1mm or 2mm steps either way.  I don't really know what the differences are around this range other than price and obvious stuff like magnification, eye relief etc. 

I was afraid someone may say an Ethos & in capitols too !  I have never looked in one & the out lay is high but I don't doubt the views.   

I need to read what the T4 T2 & T5 offer in terms of differences other than focal length & specifically what it equates to in my scope I guess.  I guess eye relief & 1.25 " / 2 " may well be a consideration.

Some good stuff on Naglers here if you have not already seen it:

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/naglers.pdf

the T4s have much longer eye relief than the others and I think a larger eye lens, giving a more immersive view, dearer though. the 17mm is 2"

the T2s are older and cheaper (about £100 used) but really are excellent value for money. both the 16 and the 12 are 2/1.25" combos. eye relief is a little tighter but not as tight as a 15mm TV plossl

the T5 is 1.25" only and much smaller than the others, like a 24mm Panoptic in size I think. eye relief is quite tight I think too but it's a small package with big punch.

the T4s have much longer eye relief than the others and I think a larger eye lens, giving a more immersive view, dearer though. the 17mm is 2"

the T2s are older and cheaper (about £100 used) but really are excellent value for money. both the 16 and the 12 are 2/1.25" combos. eye relief is a little tighter but not as tight as a 15mm TV plossl

the T5 is 1.25" only and much smaller than the others, like a 24mm Panoptic in size I think. eye relief is quite tight I think too but it's a small package with big punch.

Thanks Moonshane, useful as ever.

I've owned all the Nagler types at one time or another apart from the type 2. If you wanted a lower cost alternative in that spot in your collection the 16mm UWAN / Nirvana would do a pretty good job. I moved from the 16mm UWAN to the 16mm T5 Nagler at some cost but with hindsight the UWAN did pretty much everything the Nagler did apart from match the colour scheme of my other Tele Vues.

This 17mm type 4 is looking tempting.  The comments on this site and general comments are pretty strong.  Maybe there is a reason why there are none second hand & T.H are sold out, popular for a reason hey ?

I have moved my way down the thread thinking 16mm Nagler and there towards the end I see it mentioned, only trouble is I see the price is back up on them, it was under 200 quid a while back.

Expensive as you know but 17.3mm Delos, one of the two i do not have but my friend tells me it's the best, he has two.

14mm Mk 1 Meade UWA is a very good eyepiece but make sure it's the older one that will not wash with all this new waterproofing. The only other is the 13mm Nagler which has already been put foward, all other solutions are costly.

To enlarge on Estwing's point we love to empty peoples pockets

Alan.

Archived