Narrowband

You can post in this part for sure :smiley: The forums are divided up even further though so that you can target specific questions in the right place. No good asking about eyepieces for example in the imaging section :D The way that this is set out means that you will be able to get more useful help from people that frequent that particular forum and will know what they are talking about .... hope that makes sense.

The site is set out in a pretty logic manner, it should be fairly easy to find an appropriate place to post your question.

Do you have an idea of what type, make and size of refractor you are hoping to transport?

I'd have said size was probably a fairly major factor and also how you are hoping to transport it. 

I travel on holiday each year with my etx90 in a tool bag, with very little difficulty (it's not a refractor).

PA and FL are state-abbreviations in the USA. PA = Pennsylvania and FL = Florida.

Regards your question, Andy, it depends on your mode of travel. In any event, careful packing with lots of soft padding to reduce vibrations and any shocks it may be subjected to is key. More information from you would help narrow down specific methods.

Clear Skies,

Dave (up North of you)

The site is set out in a pretty logic manner, it should be fairly easy to find an appropriate place to post your question.

Do you have an idea of what type, make and size of refractor you are hoping to transport?

I'd have said size was probably a fairly major factor and also how you are hoping to transport it. 

I travel on holiday each year with my etx90 in a tool bag, with very little difficulty (it's not a refractor).

I have a rokinon 1000 mm, it is a small tube on a tripod

PA and FL are state-abbreviations in the USA. PA = Pennsylvania and FL = Florida.

Regards your question, Andy, it depends on your mode of travel. In any event, careful packing with lots of soft padding to reduce vibrations and any shocks it may be subjected to is key. More information from you would help narrow down specific methods.

Clear Skies,

Dave (up North of you)

I am travelling by car

Well that's easy. Just pad it and pack carefully so it won't get bounced around, or sat upon or otherwise crushed. Refractors are pretty forgiving, but care is required for any fine optical instruments.

Have a nice trip,

Dave

cool and I think I should remove the eye piece and view finder? As you can probably tell I am very new to telescopes and stargazing

Eyepieces are best removed after use to protect them from dust or other debris. Optics should be covered for the same reason. Place a cap on your diagonal to keep it clean also. If the finder-scope is in a safe position and the scope is well packed and padded from other things falling on it, it should be fine. Just use your imagination of what can go wrong - and act accordingly.

Take care,

Dave

Archived