Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment options to Photograph the Milky Way??

TimBarber

Hello

I was wondering what different set-ups people are using to photograph the Milky Way i.e Lenses, filters, Tracking mounts or fixed?

I would very much like to hear about other peoples opinions and set-ups.

I use a canon 60D

Fixed tripod

18-55mm kit lens

With this set-up my results are not especially good so any add ons i could use to improve my set-up and thus the images i'm getting would be good to hear.

Thanks in advance

bright200056.jpg

My first attempt (i was disappointed)

Have a look in the Widefield section http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/38-imaging-widefield-special-events-and-comets/ There's a shed load of Milky Way images there and people generally say what equipment they've used and how much data they've taken.

Very good advice :)

Look at the work of Photosbykev, Spider72, Nightfly, Space Ranger and Saturn5 ( To name just a few ) Note how they frame their images with some wonderful foreground interest and what settings / lens sizes they use,

Dave.

When using a fixed tripod it is often useful to shoot with an ISO of 1600 and the max shutter time that you can use before star trails become obvious as a general rule of thumb..

T in seconds = 400/Lens focal length

The kit 18-55mm lens is actually very good if a bit slow and should be ok wide open.

Alan

When using a fixed tripod it is often useful to shoot with an ISO of 1600 and the max shutter time that you can use before star trails become obvious as a general rule of thumb..

T in seconds = 400/Lens focal length

The kit 18-55mm lens is actually very good if a bit slow and should be ok wide open.

Alan

That's the third versin I have heard f the rule for exposure time, have read 500, and 600. before,  think bets way is take a sub, see what the result lks like n live view, adjust accordingly

That's the third versin I have heard f the rule for exposure time, have read 500, and 600. before,  think bets way is take a sub, see what the result lks like n live view, adjust accordingly

I think the 400 is more realistic but its only a guide a real sub will tell you if its acceptable for the image you want.

Alan

Archived