Narrowband

Max barlow/powermate

Rckol

Greetings,

I know how to calculate a max barlow magnification for a given scope and eyepiece, but the concept of magnification has no meaning for CCD imaging as I understand it.

How does one go about calculating a max barlow magnification (for planetary viewing, not guiding) for a given scope and CCD?

Thanks

[removed word]

Televue TV-85

Lodestar X2C

Hi Richard,

I think you're looking for field of view (FOV). Here's a nice calculator from First Light Optics that gives you a picture of the image you should expect for a given telescope, camera and focal reducer or Barlow.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Don

astronomy.tools

When I want to keep my life simple, I consider the Lodestar as a 9mm Plossl eyepiece (with 53 degrees AFOV).

This, of course has its limitations, as the FOV of the sensor is rectangular and that of an ep is round. And for millions of other reasons. But yields a reasonable ballpark estimate and keeps my life simple.

--Dom

Thanks guys,

If I can consider an imager fov equivalent to an eyepiece fov, I can estimate how much barlow would be useful.

I would have to be in Hilo to get much use out of a 5x barlow probably.

Archived