SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at solar imaging

Earl

Equipment used is:

Lunt 35 and a DMK 618, no extra filters used.

1) Focus, some looks ok the right edge looks very out.

2) gain, it looks a little too grainy

3) false colour, is there a correct hue?

4) how many panes to get a mosaic, (without barlow)

Im suprised the focus is so odd accross the whole image, any thoughts?

post-6688-0-37756700-1412086028.jpg

That looks like a great result for a first attempt. Could the focus issue be the difference of 696,000 km from the edge to the centre of the Sun?

I would not think that wouyld make any differnce at 93 million miles :) also as far as i have seen there is not focus shift when imaging the moon which is far closer.

The distance ratios (which is what counts) are roughly the same. Maybe the chip was not entirely square, or you are looking at the edge of the blocking filter (only an issue with bigger chips I would guess, and only then with a B400). The edge does not look entirely out of focus, more a case of out of tuning. There is the issue of sweet-spotting which can cause quality gradients over the FOV. This effect is all but gone with a Barlow, which is probably why I prefer taking barlowed shots (lots of them) and stitching those.

Archived