SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zodiacal light or just dawn?

After a week of lousy weather I was up early this morning and the sky was clear. I started my all-sky cam and ran it for an hour: the animated GIF is below.

North is at the top, East to the left. Orion is high in the south , Sirius is the brightest object at about 7 o-clock and the Milky Way runs from top-right to bottom-left. The glow at the bottom is LP and at the top is the light of the only streetlight in the area (reflecting off the white walls of a neighbouring house)

Leaving aside the obvious light of dawn, is there any evidence of Zodiacal Light in the first half hour or so of the animation?

The "twinkling" is due to the video grabber dropping lines, as the camera is 576 lines and the grabber is only 640 :embarassed:

P.S. You might have to click the image to get it to open in a popup to see the animation play.

post-651-0-82228800-1412085566.gif

Difficult. I'm no expert but I once had the great pleasure of welcoming a world authority on the subject, René Dumont, at my place. Prior to his visit I knew precisely nothing about the ZL. Under his guidance it was easy to see the wedge shaped light rising to the east of Orion and certainly distinct from the Milky Way, which was bright at the time. We were then distracted by a phenomenal rocket fuel dump which seemed to presage the end of the world. I can 'suspect' the ZL in your video but in all honesty I don't know.

Olly

Archived