Narrowband

Uranus - First Attempt

Scorpius

First Image - 150 frames out of 455 stacked in Registax prior to any further processing.

Second Image - After stretching histogram, RGB align, wavelets, etc. in Registax - Then unsharp mask, color balance, denoising, etc. in Photoshop...

Is this level of processing and color rendering an acceptable representation of the data captured? In other words, can an avi. be processed this aggressively and still be considered an "ethical" photo?

post-37916-0-57134700-1412047201.jpg

post-37916-0-53637500-1412047230.jpg

I love both images. I must have a go at this planet!

Alexxx

Thanks Alexxx but I must admit, it's hard to get excited over a tiny blueish dot :) Anyway, I read Uranus will reach opposition on Oct. 7'th but wouldn't you know that's a full moon and that will make it tough to image this faint little [removed word]. On the night above, seeing was average at best and I really had to crank up the gain and exposure to capture the frames.

My new Orion G3 Deep Space camera arrives today so I'll be switching gears from planetary in hopes of capturing my first DSO but may revisit Uranus after the moon subsides to have another go with the Neximage 5 and this time - my 2.5x Powermate - which should help increase the image scale should seeing permit...

What do you think would be the best DSO for a first attempt? I was thinking about the Ring (M57) or Dumbbell (M27) nebulas. Any thoughts on that subject?

Thanks,

Scorpius

"tough to image this faint little [removed word]."

The word was  b * u * g * g * e * r  in case anyone thought I had taken to cursing on the forum. I never imagined such a harmless word would end up being censored but now I know... :icon_salut:

"tough to image this faint little [removed word]."

The word was  b * u * g * g * e * r  in case anyone thought I had taken to cursing on the forum. I never imagined such a harmless word would end up being censored but now I know... :icon_salut:

Actually that word is obscene! Just have a think of what the act actually is! :grin:

Even a little blob excites me as I know what an amazing thing it really is.

Yes, those two DSOs are very good as they're quite bright. The Dumbbell is especially good.

Actually that word is obscene! Just have a think of what the act actually is! :grin:

Even a little blob excites me as I know what an amazing thing it really is.

Yes, those two DSOs are very good as they're quite bright. The Dumbbell is especially good.

From Websters online dictionary:

a :  a worthless person :  rascal b :  fellow, chap

:  a small or annoying thing <put down my keys and now I can't find the [removed word]s>

Actually, I was not even aware of definition #1 or 2. In the context of this post my intent was definition # 3. My apologies if I have offended anyone. Maybe this is more of a cultural thing? As far as I know in the US - definition # 3 is the standard  (non-profane)  interpretation... :)

You have made me laugh! And educated me too!

Alexxx,

I think it's me that's been educated! Especially since we've been discussing poor 'ole Uranus which doesn't get much respect in the first place... *LOL*

I'm sure there's a linking joke somewhere between what you've imaged and the removed word.

Uranus is on my list of planets that I've not imaged yet, so thanks for sharing your work and giving me inspiration to have a go at it.

Archived