SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion G3 color camera as autoguider

I am trying to use my Orion G3 colour camera with an Orion Mini Guide scope on my AVX with the ED80 and using PHD2. The image that I get in PHD2 is very light making it difficult to pick out the stars. If I reduce the exposure I can't see much. Does anyone know how I can make this darker by reducing the gain perhaps? The PHD camera control tab on the right bottom of the screen does not work with the G3. I've tried opening the Orion Camera capture software to adjust the gain but then PHD will not work until the Orion studio software is turned off. I am also using BYE to capture with my Canon 550d.

Anyone else using this set up, your input would be very helpful.

Peter

I am trying to use my Orion G3 colour camera with an Orion Mini Guide scope on my AVX with the ED80 and using PHD2. The image that I get in PHD2 is very light making it difficult to pick out the stars. If I reduce the exposure I can't see much. Does anyone know how I can make this darker by reducing the gain perhaps? The PHD camera control tab on the right bottom of the screen does not work with the G3. I've tried opening the Orion Camera capture software to adjust the gain but then PHD will not work until the Orion studio software is turned off. I am also using BYE to capture with my Canon 550d.

Anyone else using this set up, your input would be very helpful.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't have your set up and only use PHD but do you get the option to tweak the driver setting in the Camera Dialog button?

A.G

No, as I said the camera dialog button does not work with the G3.

Peter

Try and test the camera and the finder duuring daytime using PHD2 with very short exposure to verify that the drivers are working correctly. I had the same problem with an OpticStar camera and win7 64 last year and in the end it was the USB port on the machine that was causing the problem. I changed to my low spec laptop running XP and everything worked.

A.G

Iv'e given up on the G3 colour for guiding. I have a QHY5 on the way and will be selling the G3 as a deep space colour camera on here soon - so if you are interested....

I am much happier using my Canon for imaging - easier even if it's not a dedicated DSO CCD camera.

Peter

• 9 months later...

Peter I am also trying to use my Orion G3 colour camera as an autogiuider (with PHD2 Guiding) attached to an Orion Short tube 80mm as Orion said a mini scope is to small for the G3. I also have the ED80 as my imaging scope using BYE to capture with my Canon EOS T3i.  I have not been able to get the G3 to work as an autoguider yet and may be doing something similar to to what you did in the end.  Stay tuned for an update.  Cheers...

I use a gain setting adjustment before connecting the camera to PHD

It's just to the left of the connect camera button. By using this set to about 85% when the camera connects I get a really good image even can see the fuzzies I'm after. Using an old QHY on 9x50 finder scope. HTH

Gareth.

Archived