SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does this look collimated to you?

Agree with Nillchill - that dark patch looks a lot like a mirror holder, which would back up the comment about the whole view being offset. May not be the focuser tube, though - could be the secondary is aligned correctly but offset slightly to far down and right in relation to this pic.

Tbh, the image could show one of several things - any chance of a bit more detail if you can get another shot?

could be the secondary is aligned correctly but offset slightly to far down and right in relation to this pic.

Apologies, too down and LEFT, not right.

As per Shane's comments, really (least that means I am doing something right!!!)

Good luck with it and do post back if you are not sure next time.

There's a job somewhere here for me?  I wish!.....  Cruising  the UK on my Goldwing, meeting new friends and Collimating Newtonian telescopes, a small fee to cover my costs?

Thing is, I'm not sure there would be any repeat business?  I find the task straightforward and simple, but not everyone does, there lies the deal, but before I leave your residence, you too would be accomplished at collimating your own telescope.

I believe, once you have been shown how, and what to do,  twice at the most, you will wonder what all the fuss was about,  This is where I put myself out of business. There's no justice?

Hi Ya cuivenion, seems to be too much of the shadow "around" the primary(or is that the secondary ?) running from about 10 o'clock to about 5 o'clock I think you need to tweak the main mirror towards the 2 o'clock position and then the shadow will be more concentric - I think anyway - or is it the secondary that needs a tilt ? - great thing about the collimating of an SCT only 1 mirror to move!!

Paul.

RMWy3I.jpg

J7ssYT.jpg

zJEQVL.jpg

Second attempt, 1st to last photo, secondary aligned under focuser, secondary aligned to primary with cap and primary alignment with cheshire. I'm struggling to get a perfect circle under the focuser, is it possible the secondary is slightly misshapen making this more difficult.

Archived