Narrowband

Eyepieces for 200mm f5 reflector

Rurke

Hi all!

Now i'm all in doubt - i have 200mm f5 skywatcher, which came with 10mm and 25mm eyepieces and 2x barlow. Do i really need additional eyepieces for first time? I get good range of magnifications with these. Could i get considerable improvement without spending lots of money on eyepieces?

Andrejs

I would say infatically NO!!! don't be buying any e.p's until you've figured out exactly what it is you'll be spending your time on. Ok, the sw ep's aren't anything flash but they'll give you a taste of deep space, planets and lunar. If you think the moon will be where you spend most of your time, then it'd be silly to lash out on a quality wide field ep. the opposite is true for deep space. take your time, enjoy what you've got and when you are sure, spend, spend, spend :D

Top advice there from Auspom which I cannot better, if your eyepieces run much the same as other peoples then the 25mm will be your better one, it is normally the 10mm that is not so good.

Enjoy what you have for the moment or end up like me lots of eyepieces and empty pockets.

Alan

you'll generally not see anything additional with even the most fantastic quality eyepieces compared to the ones you have but you may see things with slightly less aberration, slightly more contrast and slightly more sharpness. on the very edge of possible detail in the very best conditions, really good eyepieces shine and perhaps show things that other eyepieces don't but in all honesty, whilst I have some very nice eyepieces, and have no intention of selling them to buy cheaper ones, they are not in any way magic. I agree, wait and then fill gaps you know you have not what you think you have.

You'll get on fine learning to use your scope and find your way around with the ones supplied. I used mine for a while before getting new ones. After a bit of experience you will have a better idea of what you might need.

Get to know the eyepieces you have, then after a while you will know the

limitations they have, then you will know what you need when the time comes 

to upgrade, this link http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm will explain

all the different types of eyepieces and what they will do, and how much they cost,

it's a very good beginners guide. 

Alan hit the nail on the head about the 10mm being the poorer of the two. Mine disappointed me something shocking and was a real downer when I had expected great things with the 'extra magnification' and how it 'would expand my range of viewing experience'. It didn't.

However, the advice above is all good. Use what you have and understand what those EPs do and don't do for you. Then have your head fried trying to figure what's best for you and within you're budget. That last bit's a devil .... :-)

Archived