Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from North Devon

Andrew W

Just like an AA meeting!

My names Andrew and I have a problem.......

I've decided to look at the stars with a telescope!

suffice to say I shall no doubt ask stupid noobie questions and be pulling my hair out (or having you queue up to do it for me)

I'm  lucky enough to live 20 minutes from Exmoor so have dark sky opportunities ahead but have never even looked through a telescope before so have some trepidation but also excitement for the journey ahead.

anyways Hi all :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andrew and welcome to SGL, you are lucky in having Exmoor on your door step, as you should get better visual results with your new telescope than those members who, unfortunately, have to use their newly acquired scopes in light polluted areas, enjoy :)

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. You thought you might have an 'AA' (Astronomers Anonymous) problem, but you'll really be suffering when you find that you eventually contract 'AF' (Aperture Fever) particularly as there is no known cure. This 'fever' has affected many of us here who are always desiring bigger and better scopes, though it can be abated in the short term by buying some more kit - but then it comes back even stronger!  :grin:  :grin:

You are among the afflicted here but I hope your stay is a happy one.  :grin:

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the welcome!

gear wise I've just scored a black head EQ3 equitorial mount and a bunch of eyepieces. all unused off someone that bought a package purely for the OTA and is selling off the rest of the gear.

I think I'm planing on a flextube 130p DOB with a view to being able to use it on both the dob mount and the EQ3 as circumstances dictate.

Every day I end up second guessing myself and thinking get a refractor, then a MAK and back to a dob.

In short I want to see a bit of everything. No doubt whatever I get I'll end up in six months time kicking myself and thinking I should have gone with 'X' or 'Y'

Still we learn from the mistakes as well as the successes so I shall just enjoy the journey. :)

sadly I wouldn't know what to do with the camera. I've got a sony action camera (video camera like a go pro) but it's minimum focal length is 30cm so I suspect it'd be next to worthless. However imaging is running before I can walk!  need to get used to using a scope before I get all advanced!

Archived