SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Craters!

Mr Bergman

Hello, 

since the weather is bad, I decided to reprocess old data from earlier this year, but with fewer subs. 

I didn´t have a clue which craters I had caught until I found Virtual Moon Atlas 6.0, which helped me navigate. A very nice freeware with a lot of options like distance measuring etc. 

Full image: http://www.astrobin.com/full/83917/B/ 

Virtual Moon Atlas: http://ap-i.net/avl/en/download

/Erik

a0d5ec2e68f5092fff5c4e198f0044e4.620x0_q

It's a really good image with perfect tones.

I use the virtual Moon atlas with the texture "phase with dynamic relief". It will show the shadows of the cater walls as they change with the direction of the Sun.

Here's your region in this texture (at about the right Lunar phase)

post-38669-0-56807000-1411668260_thumb.g

I forgot something: Some textures I had to download separately. Also, with the Phase With Dynamic Relief texture on, the program uses nearly a Gigabyte of memory.

Thanks Luke, jase81, bunnygood1, Mr Spock and Ruud! Ruud - thanks for the tip, will try phase with dynamic relief!

/Erik

Very nice indeed.

Virtual moon atlas is new to me, thanks for sharing :) nice tool and we should build a monument to Patrick Chevalley...

"According to the programmer, Patrick Chevalley, it was released as freeware because "I’d rather see amateurs spend their money for a new eyepiece than for astronomy software".

This is how the QuickMap website shows the same region: Link, picked up with the share option in QuickMap

It is a composite of pictures taken at Sunrise. Very useful for people who study regions near the terminator of a waxing Moon.

To get this view, use these settings for the layers of the Map:

post-38669-0-12747900-1412087778.jpg  Screenshot from QuickMap

I think I prefer this over the Virtual Moon Atlas.

Archived