SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bigger than I thought!

If anyone else is considering buying a SW 200p dob, have a look at this video I found; I didn't realise quite how big it is:

Not so sure now, might the 150p be a better option; how do these 2 compare visually, is the 8" a definite must or will a 6" suffice?!

Advice welcome.

;-D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bigger the better...a 10" would be better...:)

12" Dob foreground, 10" Newt in the Obby, either are managable the Dob gets moved in 2 parts, the Newt prior to the Obby, was place the mount on its indents lift the Newt onto the mount, not a hard tack...:)

20140910_183017.jpg

The 150P dob is the same size (tall) as the 200P, which is the same size as the 250PX, the only difference is how fat the tubes are.

How funny that the background music of the video was the same as what I was just listening to (Keep Talking by Pink Floyd) :).

Aye, I can't help but think that a 10" or 12" mirror scope will give years of lasting satisfaction. Of course, everything is relative but they're really not that big and this is from someone who lives in a typical Spanish flat. My own 10" boxes down to something which can be carried on a bus or a go-cart :grin: 

What gadgetry do you have on your 12" dob Tinker1947? ;-)

Telrad on a 4" riser, Tracer battery so it can go any where, Moonlite CR2 Focuser , Astrozap dew shield and light shroud, not shown is a Myer chair makes viewing very comfy all supplier by FLO, not sure there's anything else to purchase.....:)

Here's my 12" dob which is F/5.3. The tube is an Orion Optics which are not quite as fat as the Skywatcher / Revelation / Meade 12" dobs but it's a little longer. I'm 1.8 mtrs tall for scale. It seemed huge when I first got it but with the tube pointing upwards it's "footprint" is just 50cm x 50cm and it stands in the corner of our dining room without creating too much clutter, or complaints from my other half :smiley:. It's easy to move in two sections and I can even move it short distances in one piece.

post-118-0-14227400-1411460747_thumb.jpg

Your base John is hand made how much does it weigh please as the skywatcher base is approx 12 kilos for the 10"

The base was made for me by an SGL member. It weighs around 8 kg and is made from 18mm plywood. The scope tube weighs around 16kg - Orion Optics tubes are lighter than Skywatcher / Revelation ones because they use aluminium tubing.

..........either scope will be a joy to use, once properly set up. I'm glad you did not opt for the 6". You would have wanted bigger, sooner. The 8" is almost perfect for many reasons. My next purchase will be the 12", or a Refractor for Astro Work (ouch......did I mention Refractor...   I'd Like a TAL 100RS ), or  I could  mount the 200P on an EQ5?

...........same with the weather too, My new  6mm SPL William Optic USA arrived today?

Who did you order your scope from C7tsj? :wink2:

Telescope House. Great service, ordered Monday, arrived today.

See my thread slightly further down, headed 'Any negative points for 8 inch dob'. There are a few quick pictures at the very end.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/225332-any-negative-points-for-an-8-inch-dob/page-2

Very nice scope, great accessories. Don't think I would go bigger than 8' just now. Would struggle to safely move a 10' I think.

Mark

Archived