Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 200p Dob mystery!

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of protective cover over the primary mirror??? I'm sure it had one before but I haven't used it in a while so I'm confused as to whether it should be there or not, surely it wouldn't just fall off as it looks like there are screw holes where something ought to be!post-36849-0-78239800-1411417281_thumb.jpost-36849-0-78239800-1411417281_thumb.j

No cover, your not alone.

If a cover plate was fitted, you would still have to remove it to make any adjustments after transportation to from your darker sites, if  it had a little rough handling en-route. Plus with the thinnest of gaps around the mirror cell, air can flow, to allow cooling, plus anyone who wanted to fit no-tool Bobs knobs, would have to do without , or modify their cover plates.

The 8" F/6 dobs have no rear mirror metal plate but the 8" F/5 equatorially mounted newtonians do. Don't know why this is but it's always been that way with Skywatcher. As said above, most folks keep the plate off the scopes anyway to aid cooling and collimation so it's no loss on the dobsonians.

Archived