Narrowband

M13 / m31

craigfoot

Hi

So finally a clear night and an opportunity to check out some stars and see what I'd learnt so far.

Picked put most of the constellations and then went for m31 and m13.

What I found were very hazy cloud like areas. . is this is?? It's sorta what I expected for m31 and pleased I found it, look forward to getting the scope on it now. But o expected more from m13, was expecting a mass of stars??

Are my expectations too high?!

I'm using some Olympus 10x50 and celestron 15x70 by the way.

Cheers

Craig

m31 and m13.

What I found were very hazy cloud like areas. . is this is?? It's sorta what I expected for m31

Afraid so, yes!

M31 is a very 'extended' * object, so the bigger your binos are and the darker your skies become, the better it is seen.

* 'extended' can be as big as the moon and/or lots more ! Depending on your light bucket !!

Sometimes I think the great pleasure of M31 is how much can be seen with unaided eye, thougts of how far away it is and how good the sky/light pollution is(not) on any given night :)

M13 tho' is a very different kettle of fish :)

It will be a very -VERY ** tiny hazy blob to the unaided eye,

it will be a slightly larger tiny hazy blob in binos.

to see some of its stars needs a 'scope. ymmv.

** so very small that you will wonder if it is a few stars close together that you cant quite resolve ne.

but when you get your binos on some other 'close groups of stars' you will see that you can resolve them in binos whereas you couldnt ne.

M13 isnt like that !

does that help or obfuscate !?:)

Kemble's Cascade is another nice binocular target, although perhaps not brilliantly positioned currently.

A scan around Cygnus and Cassiopeia is always worthwhile too, especially under dark skies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Open clusters tend to be a better bet for resolving in bins than globulars; try the following:

M44- that is a mass of stars!

M35 - resolves well

M41 (below Sirius)- that shows several stars despite being quite low

The Double Cluster and M34 nearby

The three clusters in Auriga- they all resolve to some extent in my bins, but need a good night to do so.

A few more "better in binos" targets:,

Thanks Steve

Some great targets there. I've missed out on the minnow and Collinder 65. Loving the BinocularSky website btw.

Just to add to the list. Whilst in the Double Cluster / Muscle Man area. Kembles Cascade is another favourite "better by bino" target.

Paul

Don't forget to look for the two companion galaxies to M31, which you should manage if your bins are up to it and tripod mounted. Both were clearly visible here last night and also M33 (Triangulum) which is another galaxy well worth looking for.

Chris

Kembles Cascade is another favourite "better by bino" target.

It's one of my favourites as well, but I didn't mention it because "Big Mak" already had :laugh:

M33 (Triangulum) which is another galaxy well worth looking for.

Yes, it's an object that is usually easier in 15-quid binoculars than in 50-quid telescopes!

Plenty of suggestions, so I won't add any more, except to agree that Kemble's Cascade well worth a look in the bins!  Surprised myself by it the other night while doing some work in neighboring Perseus looking for faint nebulae, drifted on to the the Cascade, and thought "Wow, that's cool!"  and then, "Oh, that's a vertical Kemble's Cascade!"

While in Orion, check out the belt area and the trails of stars leading you up to Gemini or Taurus.  Streams of stars to get lost in! 

Archived