SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Qhy5 guiding

goldblade1983

Hi

Could someone please give me a step by step idiots guide or post a link on how to set up for (pulse) guiding.

I have

Qh5y, neq6, laptop.

Just ordered a usb cable to attach camera to laptop. How do I go about attaching computer to mount etc?

Many thanks in advance! This is the last step in a long process of buying equipment so looking forward to sharing some results!

Brian

You need a EQ6 direct cable, either a cable from USB which has an builtin RS232 converter to TTL5V level or a RS232 to TTL5V if you have any comports free at your computer. Then you have to install EQMOD and also the latest ASCOM. You need a planetary program and CDC is very popular and also free, I use it myself and I am very satisfied with it.

The pulseguide setting should be around 0.5 to start with and exposure and the do a calibration with PHD or Maxim DL (or any other program that you like to guide with) after that, find a suitable guide star and then guide. You have to focus you guide scope quite well to find any stars.

I have built and sold many USB to EQ6 cables but for the moment my supply is out of stock.

Might take you up on that. Was looking for a 5 metre one if possible - need to check my laptop's available ports. Pretty sure it has a serial 'com' port (it's old). Ideally looking for one earlier though... just got my guidecam and want to use it! Would it be cheaper you think using the st4 port instead - or does that mean not being able to use eqmod and having to use handset instead? (Which could in itself be a quick fix whilst awaiting cable)

If you have a v3 synscan handset you don't need an eqdirect cable to use EQMOD. You could just connect a standard usb-serial camble to the handset via the firmware update cable that comes with the mount. You then place the handset into pc-direct mode (a utility function of the handset).

If you have basic soldering/splicing skills, and a continuity tester to check your connections, usb eqdirect cables are trivial to make and full details are on the EQMOD project website.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Archived