SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1805 - The Heart Nebula - NB - Mosaic WIP

Gina

At last a clear night sky last night :)  AND my equipment all worked and kept going until dawn :)

Esprit 80ED Pro on EQ8 guided with Lodestar X2 on OAG on MN190 and captured with Atik 460EX and Astrodon NB filters.

27 x 5m Ha + 28 x 5m OIII + 28 x 5m SII all unbinned.

Stacked in DSS, aligned with RegiStar and processed in Photoshop.

Taking the info in Wikipedia it seemed the Heart would fit in the frame but it doesn't so until I get my widefield imaging rig ready I'm using the Esprit and making a mosaic.  Here is the first part of the mosaic just roughly processed in HOO "natural" palette.  Resized and saved as PNG for upload here.

post-13131-0-91300500-1411381595_thumb.p

Clarity and seeing were both good last night and I was getting FWHM values of well under 2 unbinned.  This is a crop from the larger image showing Melotte 15, without resizing, from a single Ha sub of 5 minutes.

post-13131-0-52874100-1411381975_thumb.p

Forecast is good for tonight too so I'm hoping to capture another part of the mosaic.  Not sure if this will cover the rest or whether I'll need 2 more parts.

Thank you everyone :)  Yes, there have been many times when the forecast for here has predicted clear night skies that didn't materialise :(  In fact it didn't clear until well after dark last night.

The cloud cleared a bit earlier tonight and it's clear now and image capturing is proceeding :)  Here is an Ha sub from last night combined with one from tonight to make the complete Heart.  I've got most of it in but a slightly bigger frame would be better I feel.

post-13131-0-49538100-1411421139_thumb.p

Guiding is working particularly well tonight so far :)

post-13131-0-35796400-1411421512.jpg

Thank you Andy :)  Yes, another good night's imaging 31 subs of Ha and OIII and 30 of SII :)  Slightly better than the previous night.

I'm processing this data now.  Watch this space...

Archived